About NBME Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shah_Patel_PT

MD FACP
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are all the NBME tests supposed to be of the same difficulty level?

Or does it get harder from 1 to 4?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought 1 was the hardest.....I only took 1 and 2...both underestimated score; 1 by 9 pts and 2 by 5

Shah_Patel_PT said:
Are all the NBME tests supposed to be of the same difficulty level?

Or does it get harder from 1 to 4?

is there a 4th exam now?

i took nbme #3 on monday and at that time, there was only 3

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there are only 3 total. I took the 1st and 2nd tests, roughly 10 days apart. I was much better prepared for the 2nd than 1st test and my score only increased by 2 points. Based on that data, I would say the 2nd test is harder than the 1st (though others have said the opposite). In theory, though, I think all tests are designed to be equally difficult. Any difference in difficulty should be reflected in the scoring anyway!

manning18 said:
I think there are only 3 total. I took the 1st and 2nd tests, roughly 10 days apart. I was much better prepared for the 2nd than 1st test and my score only increased by 2 points. Based on that data, I would say the 2nd test is harder than the 1st (though others have said the opposite). In theory, though, I think all tests are designed to be equally difficult. Any difference in difficulty should be reflected in the scoring anyway!

granted i took the first one before studying and the 2nd one 2.5 weeks into studying but i thought the 2nd one was A LOT less picky than the first. i went up roughly 35 points between the first and second but i do agree that in theory, they should be similar

did anyone think that #3 was easier? I skipped from 1 to 3 and will go back to 2 but my score went up 24 points from 1 to 3. This is a relief so I'm hoping it is due to knowledge rather than #3 being easy.

separate question, on the performance graph, what does it mean when there is no graph for a certain subject. does it mean it wasn't tested?

footcramp said:
separate question, on the performance graph, what does it mean when there is no graph for a certain subject. does it mean it wasn't tested?

I thought I had a couple of blanks on my performance graph, but when I looked at it closer, there was an asterisk on the far right hand side of the page where my performance feel off of the graph. It falls right on the line and is kind of hard to see.