About optional essays (diversity)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Impcus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
On one of my applications, there is a question which reads "Please describe the attributes that you possess that will help enhance cultural diversity at (university)." and the instructions say "Only answer the additional question sections if they apply." I am a white male, so I definitely do not scream diversity, but I wonder if leaving that blank would be bad for me. I do come from an area where there I have been around people of different races and cultures and I think it does give me a somewhat unique perspective on diversity, as far as someone who is a white male is concerned. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I maybe write about this perspective, or just leave it?

All responses appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a fundamental misunderstanding of diversity to think that being white or male takes anything away from your strength in this area.

Maybe you have a relative with a chronic illness that you have a lot of experience with. Maybe your family situation is just unique. Kids? 17 siblings?
Do you come from an underserved area? Rural? Urban?
Is faith important to you? Are you involved in any religious communities?
Did you have a career before medicine?
Did you play a college sport?
Do you play an instrument?
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Don't leave it blank.

It's a fundamental misunderstanding of diversity to think that being white or male takes anything away from your strength in this area.

Maybe you have a relative with a chronic illness that you have a lot of experience with. Maybe your family situation is just unique. Kids? 17 siblings?
Do you come from an underserved area? Rural? Urban?
Is faith important to you? Are you involved in any religious communities?
Did you have a career before medicine?
Did you play a college sport?
Do you play an instrument?
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Don't leave it blank.
This is great, thank you