? about Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darat_dmd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, folks. I thought the dental students forum would be the best place for this question.

What is the major difference in OMS programs of the four year & six year variety? Do the six year programs actually prepare you to be a better practitioner? Are there limits that one who completed a four year OMS program would face that a six year program completer would not? Are there greater practice opportunities for those from six year programs?

Thanks for your time, help & opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what some of the scoop is. This is coming from 2 of my friends, one who in July finished his 4 year OMS program and is now practicing in the Portland, ME area, and the flip side from a friend of mine who is in the 5th of his 6 year combined OMS/MD program. First off the practice limitations of a non MD vs an MD OMS program are just like the difference between a DMD and a DDS, there are none. In some select circumstances, the MD and its extra 2 years may help open a door or 2 (i.e. a future career in academics, hospital privileges at major metropolitan hospitals, and a desire to do alot of facial cosmetic surgeries in your future practice). My friend who just finished the 4 year program has absolutely no reservations about not having an MD, and frankly as he puts it was completely burned out of the entire residency experience and couldn't imagine going another 2 years before getting into private practice. My friend in the 6 year program says that while the med school experience was interesting, he doesn't think that his view of how he wants to practice oral surgery when done is changed, only the number of letters behind his name on his future sign :D

I also have 2 other friends who were enrolled in 6 year programs that have dropped out of oral surgery entirely. 1 is now a practicing general dentist, and one is heading into a residency in Anesthiology(obviously the MD portion benefitted on this one).

It really boils down to what you really want to do, either way you'll still have Doc's referring to you and patients walking through the door to see you. :)

Hi Dr. Jeff, I have a quick qestion. I really want to do oral surgery due to a personal experience this year which lead to a tissue extraction. Anyway, I got into Columbia, NYU, BU, Tufts and I am interviewing at UCSF early next year.

Which school is better to get into OMFS(6years) program since I heard it is competive to get into.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not mmy total area of expertise, but based on past experiences of interviewing candidates for residency positions, if I were you, of the ones you listed, I'd avoid NYU and BU. Granted a strong candidate will likely get in not matter which school they went to, and a weak candidate will have a tough time reguardless of which school conferred their degree.

Dear Dr.,
I am a HONG KONG dental student intending to apply for the study the 6 year MD-OMS program.
I know it is harsh but I am really want to open a field in medicine.
Please suggest in detail all MD-OMS programs in USA that would allow non-US student to apply
for residency?
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
Jason

Dr. Jeff, could you please elaborate on why NYU wouldn't be a good place to go if one wanted to go into oral surgery. I am considering going to NYU and am also interested in oral surgery. Thanks

I'm sure I'm going to offend some folks here with this one, but here goes. While NYU has some very prominent and high profile alums and faculty (Tarnow, Smigel, etc) as a whole the students that they are currently graduating don't have the best of reputations. NYU basically has the stigma of admitting many folks not based on their academic talents, but their ability to pay for their education. Many foriegn dentists also graduate from their after paying for their 2 years, and don't really have the best of clinical repuatations. As a whole, you can get into almost any residency program as an NYU grad if your a good student with good board scores, but residency directors as a whole will initially have a little bit of doubt when they see an applicant from NYU coming their way.

As I have posted before, if you're in the corrrect environment for you to accel academically you'll like have a better chance of getting into any type of residency no matter where you graduate. If you're going to a school just because of its reputation and you're miiserable there, your education experience will likely be hinder a bit, and your chances of getting into any residency slightly decreased. :eek: