DAT About our DAT Tutoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NextStepTutor_1

Next Step Test Prep Tutor
Vendor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A Personalized DAT Program
We understand how challenging the DAT can be. For many pre-dental students with great GPAs, research, and activities, it’s all that stands between you and dental school admissions.

Next Step Test Preparation is one 0f the few tutoring companies offering a comprehensive DAT tutoring program with 20+ scoring instructors who have actually taken the DAT (as opposed to offering general tutoring in biology or math).

“I need to thank you so much for your help, time, and flexibility in tutoring. I was genuinely surprised I got a 22 on PAT. I’m happy with my scores and have you in large part to thank.” Next Step DAT Student

Each Next Step student works through a completely custom program. From start date to DAT Test Day, an instructor will help you earn your best possible score. We work with students who:

• Are just starting out on the DAT
  • Have taken a prep course or worked through books with little progress
  • Have already taken the DAT and need to raise their scores
Click here to see a sample DAT tutoring plan.

One-on-one DAT Tutoring Program Overview
Each of our students begins with a diagnostic exam to gauge his or her current score levels and to understand initial strengths and weaknesses. Typically, students will be much weaker in one of the sciences – and most students need at least some help with PAT. Students meet with their instructors once or twice per week, usually for two hours at a time.

At the beginning of your program, your tutor will put together a draft schedule for your program. For beginning students, this will include significant review of the substantive science content as well as test-taking strategy. For students who have already been studying, we will focus in on areas of weakness.

At each session:

• Students have the opportunity to discuss questions on their homework and re-assess their overall progress
  • New topics are covered in-depth or weaker areas are reviewed
  • Specific homework and practice exams are assigned for completion between study sessions
Ideally, students prepare for the DAT for 3-6 months. However, we have also helped students successfully optimize a shorter time frame for maximum gain.

Next Step also specializes in helping two special DAT cases:

Students who have already completed a DAT prep class. Many students complete a DAT prep course, only to feel they haven’t yet received the scores they need to get into dental school. In particular, we often hear that the course was very good at reviewing the sciences, but didn’t help students effectively transition that knowledge onto the actual exam. In other words, students haven’t yet learned to think like the DAT.

Students who have already taken the DAT and were unhappy with their score. Re-taking the DAT is never a positive experience. Most pre-dental students put a ton of effort and focus into the test — and when the scores come back under 20, they are rightfully disappointed. We can help. By focusing in on areas of particular challenge, we’re able to help students turn around problem sections and polish strengths.

One-on-one-LSAT-Tutoring-Program-Overview-.gif

A Focus On Strategy
Scoring 20+ on the DAT requires a solid understanding of science content, but more importantly you’ve got to have a strategic approach to the DAT itself. Our students often tell us that they have a good grasp on the sciences and basic mathematics but just can’t turn that knowledge into the score they want.

When we work with students one-on-one, we are able to focus on test-taking strategy as well as the basic skills. Unlike a classroom course, in which the teacher will only have one set method for doing things, we are flexible in our approach. There are many different paths to success on a DAT science question (process of elimination, outside knowledge, estimation, etc.) and we help our students find the one that works best for them – and does so within the test’s strict time limits.

And, of course, the Perceptual Ability Test (PAT) section is based entirely on your strategic approach. Your instructor can work with you to master the thought processes necessary for success in this section.

Materials and Methodologies
Since so many of our students have already done some studying on their own, we consult students individually on what materials they already have and what additional resources would be helpful. (You aren’t the only DAT student with a milk crate full of second-hand prep books!)

We have found that there are a number of ways to teach most aspects of the DAT. Rather than choosing one method arbitrarily and mandating it for all of our students, we leave it up to our veteran instructors to chart the right course for the individual student based on an initial diagnostic or past DAT scores.

“I turned to Next Step after getting average results after using a traditional test prep course. This time around, I decided I needed more specific help. I needed structure, and in the first session, we set up a schedule that I could work with and stick to.” Lauren, Next Step Student

Flexible Start Dates and Scheduling
Since our programs are completely customized, our students can start any time. We will put together the right program to take you from your start date to the day of your test, making the best use of time available.

We are able to guide your prep over the course of 6 months, or we can put together a plan to eke out those last few points 4 weeks before your test date.

DAT is a registered trademark of the American Dental Association.

Members don't see this ad.