about peds pulm and peds ID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotsdoc54

MS0
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked for information about pediatric pulmonology and ID through the search function, but I didn't find a lot about pulm in general.

Is peds pulm primarily academic? In my general area, there are no peds pulm guys in my small town, and only three in the neighboring larger city at a children's hospital. Are you limited to academics through peds pulm (not insinuating that's a bad thing)? Are there jobs out there for pulm, or is it oversaturated? Can you find jobs in "smaller" towns?

I had the same questions about pediatric ID as well. From my understanding, ID is often very research based and erudite. Is peds ID oversaturated as I've been told? Any smaller town work possible?

Just pre-med questions from someone who is currently applying to medical school. I have intellectual interests in microbiology and pulmonary function, so I thought peds pulm or peds ID might be avenues to explore. Any thoughts would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I looked for information about pediatric pulmonology and ID through the search function, but I didn't find a lot about pulm in general.

Is peds pulm primarily academic? In my general area, there are no peds pulm guys in my small town, and only three in the neighboring larger city at a children's hospital. Are you limited to academics through peds pulm (not insinuating that's a bad thing)? Are there jobs out there for pulm, or is it oversaturated? Can you find jobs in "smaller" towns?

I had the same questions about pediatric ID as well. From my understanding, ID is often very research based and erudite. Is peds ID oversaturated as I've been told? Any smaller town work possible?

Both pedi pulmonary and pedi ID, in their current practices for new grads tend to be hospital-based. In the past, pedi pulmonary did some private-practice community asthma work and this is still possible, but increasingly it is a field dealing with transplant, CF, bronchopulmonary dysplasia, etc. These tend to focus on medium-sized and above cities. Mostly these jobs are hospital-based as it is hard to make much $$ in a community private practice seeing these patients. Again, nothing is impossible, but it would be hard.

Pedi ID is almost exclusively if not exclusively, hospital-based. Some public health and research jobs not hospital-based (CDC, etc).

You should note that not all hospital jobs in pediatrics, including those at children's hospitals are "academic" in the sense that they are primarily associated with a full-time medical school appointment. Plenty of non-academic folks working entirely in hospital-based practices in pediatrics.