About personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ejdiana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the ADDSAS application, does the personal statement section asks for specific question that we have to answer ?? or are we allowed to write whatever we want??

What was the question for previous years??

thanks~

Members don't see this ad.

there isnt a specific question but you should include why you want to be a dentist.

[SIZE=-1]::CUT AnD PASTED::

Your Personal Statement should address why you desire to pursue a dental education and how a dental degree contributes to your personal and professional goals.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]You are encouraged to compose your statement in a text-only word processor (e.g., Notepad), review your statement for errors, then cut and paste the final version into the text box above. Click the Save button and return to the Personal Statement to review the formatting of your text. You are limited to approximately 1 page (4500 characters, including spaces).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Some formatting characters used in programs like Word (angled quotes, accents, special characters) will not display properly. Carefully review your final text and to make the necessary corrections to the format.

:::CUT AND PASTED Instructions also::

[/SIZE]
The personal essay provides an opportunity for you to explain why you desire to pursue dental education.
It is recommended to compose your essay in a text-only word processor (e.g., Notepad), review your essay for errors, cut and paste the final version into the text box. The essay is limited to approximately 1 page (4,500 characters, including spaces).
Some formatting characters used in programs like Word will not display properly. Take the time to review the final before you submit your application to AADSAS.
The personal essay will be formatted and printed in standard paragraph form before being sent to your designated dental schools. It will not be sent to your designated dental school in the format you view in the on-line application.

What should you write?

The Admissions Committee members who read your essay are looking for individuals who are motivated, academically prepared, articulate, socially conscious, and knowledgeable about the profession. Write about your experiences and any qualities that will make you stand out. Check The ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools for ideas about essays.

[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

Members don't see this ad :)
it is essentially a letter of intent. Your intention? To become a dentist. Tell em why and make it better than 3000 people who are applying to the same school.:scared:

Thank you so much for your replies~!!!

Did you guys max out the 4500 character limit when you wrote yours? I just typed up mine for a complete page but it's only 2000 characters w/ the space.

I am at 4967, trying to cut down whatever I can. If you can get everything in with 2000 words add another paragraph and then revise, revise , revise...