About Pharmacist Interns

Started by willrocks
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

willrocks

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I have a couple questions about registering as a pharmacist intern, if you have the time. I have completed my bachelors and am entering the first professional year of pharmacy school in the fall. Does this qualify me to register as a pharmacist intern right now in most states?

Also, I have heard that pharmacist interns make considerably mroe than pharmacy techs. Is there a website where jobs for pharm interns are posted, or do employers just typically pay more to the interns than the techs?

Thanks.
 
It depends on the state. In Illinois, you cannot be considered an intern until you actually start classes. In Wisconsin, not until you complete P-2 year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I have a couple questions about registering as a pharmacist intern, if you have the time. I have completed my bachelors and am entering the first professional year of pharmacy school in the fall. Does this qualify me to register as a pharmacist intern right now in most states?

Also, I have heard that pharmacist interns make considerably mroe than pharmacy techs. Is there a website where jobs for pharm interns are posted, or do employers just typically pay more to the interns than the techs?

Thanks.

Generally, you can't be an intern until you complete your P1 year... however if your in PA, as soon as you matriculate you can get your intern permit. As for the pay, I believe you make considerably more - most techs make around 8ish starting... as an intern you will be making anywhere from 10 upwards starting. I'm currently making 12.50 with a pay bump to 14.50 in a another half year, going up to 16.50 ... then half a pharmacist salary when I graduate but before becoming licensed.
 
In Arkansas, you can start working as an intern as soon as you get your intern license during your P1 year. It takes longer for some people though for personal reasons. But you cannot get intern hours for the state board until completing the first semester of the P1 year and those hours can be recorded and logged starting from January of the P1 year.

I've talked to a pharmacist at Baptist Health, and he said that the best thing to do would be to talk to a preceptor who will train you before you start pharmacy school or let you shadow so that you can learn more and be treated sort of like an intern.
 
Hello,

I have a couple questions about registering as a pharmacist intern, if you have the time. I have completed my bachelors and am entering the first professional year of pharmacy school in the fall. Does this qualify me to register as a pharmacist intern right now in most states?

Also, I have heard that pharmacist interns make considerably mroe than pharmacy techs. Is there a website where jobs for pharm interns are posted, or do employers just typically pay more to the interns than the techs?

Thanks.


As was previously stated, it varies by state. Here in Tennessee you can be an intern as soon as you officially start classes at an accredited pharmacy school. Some states require you to actually register with the state board of pharmacy as an intern and others do not (like TN).

I think the pay difference between technicians and interns depends on your practice setting. In my experience hospital interns make roughly the same as the techs. As far as websites for internships, sometimes it's all about networking. Buddy up to some of the visiting pharmacists that lecture your class. A lot of times internships are not posted and you have to ask around for opportunities. Other times you can just go to the organization's website and find one (I was lucky).

Only other advice I can give you is to get friendly with the P3's. Chances are some of them are in internships and have to leave them when they start rotations as a P4.