about pharmacy GPA's and courses

Started by spharmd89
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spharmd89

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
I have a question as to how pharmacy school GPAs are calculated
I have taken most of my pre req classes and gotten B's, I've had to repeat a few classes (will those be included) and I have a 2.4 GPA right now, but that is including other classes that are not required as a pre req for pharmacy schools, so will they also include those classes or will they only calculate the GPA with the classes that are required for thier pre req and what about the classes i've repeated will they include those?

and i have another question, I'm planning on applying this year for next fall (2011) to pharmacy schools, I will have all my pre req's completed by then, I will have taken the PCAT (i took it and got a 77%) .. and I am working as a pharmacy technician, my GPA would be approx. 3.0 (excluding the non pre req classes) .. what would my chances of getting into a pharm school be?

and is there anyone here or do you know anyone who has gotten into a 4 year pharmd program without completing a bachelors degree?? because that is my plan, and i havent heard that anyone has gotten in without a bachelors so would like to know if it is possible

Thanks for your help in advance
 
Hi guys,
I have a question as to how pharmacy school GPAs are calculated
I have taken most of my pre req classes and gotten B's, I've had to repeat a few classes (will those be included) and I have a 2.4 GPA right now, but that is including other classes that are not required as a pre req for pharmacy schools, so will they also include those classes or will they only calculate the GPA with the classes that are required for thier pre req and what about the classes i've repeated will they include those?

and i have another question, I'm planning on applying this year for next fall (2011) to pharmacy schools, I will have all my pre req's completed by then, I will have taken the PCAT (i took it and got a 77%) .. and I am working as a pharmacy technician, my GPA would be approx. 3.0 (excluding the non pre req classes) .. what would my chances of getting into a pharm school be?

and is there anyone here or do you know anyone who has gotten into a 4 year pharmd program without completing a bachelors degree?? because that is my plan, and i havent heard that anyone has gotten in without a bachelors so would like to know if it is possible

Thanks for your help in advance

You are going to have an EXTREMELY difficult time getting into pharmacy school. They do look at your overall GPA as well as pre-req GPA, and a 3.0 prereq GPA isn't close to being good enough to compensate for that low of an overall GPA. They will average any retakes, so your overall GPA may actually be lower than that.

Many people get in without a bachelor's, but with your GPA I find your chances of admission to be poor at best.
 
Hi guys,
I have a question as to how pharmacy school GPAs are calculated
I have taken most of my pre req classes and gotten B's, I've had to repeat a few classes (will those be included) and I have a 2.4 GPA right now, but that is including other classes that are not required as a pre req for pharmacy schools, so will they also include those classes or will they only calculate the GPA with the classes that are required for thier pre req and what about the classes i've repeated will they include those?

and i have another question, I'm planning on applying this year for next fall (2011) to pharmacy schools, I will have all my pre req's completed by then, I will have taken the PCAT (i took it and got a 77%) .. and I am working as a pharmacy technician, my GPA would be approx. 3.0 (excluding the non pre req classes) .. what would my chances of getting into a pharm school be?



Any school that uses PharmCAS will average all your grades. It does not matter what they are. Also, most schools have a minimum of 2.5 or 2.75 and will not even look at your application unless you fulfill the minimum. Others have their own calculations but an average pre-pharmacy GPA is around 3.4 to 3.5. Some schools like University of Wisconsin-Madison want a 3.0 overall GPA or the most recent 60 credits at 3.2 or higher.

It would help you to get your PCAT higher. It is low for your GPA.


Call the universities you are interested in and ask them about their minimum GPA or you can view stats on their PharmCAS pages. It sounds like if you are serious you should go for it but at this point unfortunately you are not competitive. Be prepared to take another year and get as many A's as you can to raise your GPA.
 
Hi guys,
I have a question as to how pharmacy school GPAs are calculated
I have taken most of my pre req classes and gotten B's, I've had to repeat a few classes (will those be included) and I have a 2.4 GPA right now, but that is including other classes that are not required as a pre req for pharmacy schools, so will they also include those classes or will they only calculate the GPA with the classes that are required for thier pre req and what about the classes i've repeated will they include those?

and i have another question, I'm planning on applying this year for next fall (2011) to pharmacy schools, I will have all my pre req's completed by then, I will have taken the PCAT (i took it and got a 77%) .. and I am working as a pharmacy technician, my GPA would be approx. 3.0 (excluding the non pre req classes) .. what would my chances of getting into a pharm school be?

and is there anyone here or do you know anyone who has gotten into a 4 year pharmd program without completing a bachelors degree?? because that is my plan, and i havent heard that anyone has gotten in without a bachelors so would like to know if it is possible

Thanks for your help in advance


Yea, it's possible to get into pharmacy school without a degree but your GPA gotta be hella higher if you planning to make it. I originally had a 2.5 GPA the first year...then dropped out and gave it another shot. I managed to get a 3.7 for the next 2 years which brought my overall to 3.4 with an 83 PCAT. My advice: stop taking classes unless you're confident on getting A's only for the next year or two. This is the best way to get accepted. If you continue on your current path, you will not be accepted anywhere. Good luck!