1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

? about refinancing

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by laelialudisia, Mar 7, 2007.

1. laelialudisia

laelialudisia they misunderestimated me
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    so, it looks like the reduction in interest rates on federal stafford loans from 6.8% to 3.4% will occur in stages over the next 5 years!!!!!

"The House bill approved Wednesday would cut interest rates on federally subsidized Stafford loans from 6.8 percent to 3.4 percent in stages over the next five years. The rate would drop from 6.8 percent to 6.12 percent in 2007, to 5.44 percent in 2008, to 4.76 percent in 2009, to 4.08 percent in 2010, and finally to 3.4 percent in 2011"
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/01/18/MNGNINKDJP1.DTL

does anyone know if you can refinance ALL of the stafford loans we take out over the next 4 years to 3.4%?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Most likely not as federal loans have the "weighted average" for consolidation. You can't refinance federal loans to my knowledge.

4. BEMD

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Does anyone know if this reduction in interest rates actually applies to us for sure? I had hurd a rumor on SDN a month or two ago that this would not apply to us becuase we will be graduate students. I was just wondering if this was accurate. :confused:

5. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

I think they are working to get that changed for graduate work. As of right now the current cuts weren't for graduate.