About research opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MickyMyki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So i have a question...

So I am currently looking for research opportunities in a particular field. The thing is that I'm looking for a summer project as my school can then provide funding. The problem is, is that most people I've talked to need help right now. Theoretically I could help...but I wouldn't get paid in the summer then.

What should I do? Focus on getting money? Or focus on getting a good project? In other words, Can I wait after our december deadline for the grants to look for projects? I'm still adjusting to med school and trying to get to grips with anatomy...

Members don't see this ad.

I would focus on studying for medical school and for Step 1 right now. Take a year off after 3rd year once you have already secured a high Step score and know what you want to do. Without a high Step score your research is worthless.

So I am currently looking for research opportunities in a particular field. The thing is that I'm looking for a summer project as my school can then provide funding. The problem is, is that most people I've talked to need help right now. Theoretically I could help...but I wouldn't get paid in the summer then.

What should I do? Focus on getting money? Or focus on getting a good project? In other words, Can I wait after our december deadline for the grants to look for projects? I'm still adjusting to med school and trying to get to grips with anatomy...

How time consuming? People in my med school did research first year maybe then they will also have work for you to do in the summer. I find it hard to believe a research project would be completely done by the summer. If you are overwhelmed then just wait for the research but I really don't get what the December deadline is... is it for grants for the summer. If it is I would at least try to get the stipend and grant if you can swing it.

I really find it hard to believe any research project would turn down a student that is paid for by a grant whether they need someone now or not.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Right now, you need to make sure you have honed your study methods and have your grades where you want them. If you think you are ready to devote time to things like research, that's great. There's always a crazy flurry amongst new M1s about how "I NEED TO DO EVERYTHING IN ORDER TO SUCCEED." Just make sure you're not riding that neurotic wave and don't overstretch yourself.

It is hard to line up research projects for just the summer if you want to build it into anything (publication, abstracts, etc.). Be flexible and willing to adapt. My plans completely changed for my summer despite as much planning as I could do. I continue to work ~1 afternoon a week to try and publish something and also build a relationship with that department. You will maximize your summer if you can get involved now so that you can hit the ground running come May/June. Talk with your med school about the $$ issue, because only you can reconcile that.

Also, take @failedatlife's advice in context: he wanted to do ENT, did a ton of research in the field and essentially did all the right things but then got a 220 on Step 1, which has led him to excessively discourage anyone on SDN from trying to do research before securing a good step score. You don't need to necessarily take a research year but his main point is important: secure your grades before securing your extracurriculars.

Right now, you need to make sure you have honed your study methods and have your grades where you want them. If you think you are ready to devote time to things like research, that's great. There's always a crazy flurry amongst new M1s about how "I NEED TO DO EVERYTHING IN ORDER TO SUCCEED." Just make sure you're not riding that neurotic wave and don't overstretch yourself.

It is hard to line up research projects for just the summer if you want to build it into anything (publication, abstracts, etc.). Be flexible and willing to adapt. My plans completely changed for my summer despite as much planning as I could do. I continue to work ~1 afternoon a week to try and publish something and also build a relationship with that department. You will maximize your summer if you can get involved now so that you can hit the ground running come May/June. Talk with your med school about the $$ issue, because only you can reconcile that.

Also, take @failedatlife's advice in context: he wanted to do ENT, did a ton of research in the field and essentially did all the right things but then got a 220 on Step 1, which has led him to excessively discourage anyone on SDN from trying to do research before securing a good step score. You don't need to necessarily take a research year but his main point is important: secure your grades before securing your extracurriculars.

This whole no research before step one just seems weird to me. We were required to do a project the summer between first and second year. It was kind of nice because we all got paid.

There are some people who published 3+ papers and also aced the step 1 during the first 2 years. There are others who didn't even do any research and still did poorly on step 1. And there is everyone else in between. You will get various advice on this, and there is no right answer. It depends on how well you can manage your time and study. But I do agree that step 1/classes come before research.

If money isn't an issue, I would say having a good project in a field of interest with a good chance of getting published is more important than getting paid.

Summer between M1 and M2 is the time to do research. If you have the opportunity and are interested, go for it, particularly if you are interested in a competitive field and/or program. Step 1 comes after M2 so you will still have time to prepare.