? about taking UG classes while in a Master's program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alshera

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you take UG classes while enrolled in a graduate program, do the UG classes count on your UG portion of the AMCAS application or do they count as part of your grad. gpa since you are enrolled as a grad student?

Members don't see this ad.

If you take undergrad classes, those will affect your undergrad GPA. If you take graduate classes, they will contribute to your graduate GPA. Postbac students are enrolled as graduate students because they already have a degree, but GPA depends on the level of the course you are taking.

On the AMCAS application, you would label it as Post-Baccalaureate. AMCAS calculates a PB GPA as well. As long as they are undergrad classes...they will contribute to your undergrad GPA.

can anyone confirm this? Someone that took both graduate level courses and undergrad courses in the same time. Like if I enroll in a Master's program but decide to take undergrad level biology, well I be able to apply the ug biology to my ug gpa??

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait...if you're working towards a Master's degree, wouldn't you be taking graduate courses? I'd ask the advisor in your program.

you mean youd wanna take undergrad classes to work on your undergrad gpa but take grad classes also for your degree? I was thinking of doing this. Undergrad classes would be postbacc. and graduate classes would be graduate..

at most schools, undergrad classes taken during graduate programs do not factor into your graduate gpa. how they count towards undergrad gpa i do not know.

They show up on your amcas report as postbacc undergrad classes and do factor into your overall undergrad gpa. I know this because I applied last year and that's how it worked.

at most schools, undergrad classes taken during graduate programs do not factor into your graduate gpa. how they count towards undergrad gpa i do not know.

wait...what do you mean by most schools??? i dont think graduate schools offer undergraduate courses..do they? i probably have to be taking both a undergradute and graduate courses at two different schools then?

please someone respond with answers :) and good luck to all

~m~

At schools that aren't exclusively a grad school, you can often take undergrad classes. For example, I took a few undergrad classes for credit (toward my graduate degree) while I was a grad student. It all just depends on the school, what they let you take, and how it counts at that school. But regardless of how that school counts those grades, if you take undergrad classes while a grad student, it shows up as postbacc undergrad on your amcas report.

wait...what do you mean by most schools??? i dont think graduate schools offer undergraduate courses..do they? i probably have to be taking both a undergradute and graduate courses at two different schools then?

please someone respond with answers :) and good luck to all

~m~

What if your program counts your undergrad classes in your graduate gpa.

ie.

I'm enrolled in mostly grad. level master's classes and take an additional undergrad class. My program counts the undergrad class in my graduate gpa. For my AMCAS can I list the undergrad class as postbacc undergrad?

Any input would be appreciated!