About to have a Child and I'm Only Entering My 3rd year of College! Applying to dental school soon!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm entering my 3rd year of College and my girlfriend just found out she was pregnant. I'm applying to dental school in June 2019 so I'm still going for that. Lets just say that I won't have any family help at all. Is there anyone with advice on how your currently dealing with this while still going through the process of becoming a dentist. I'm not scared or anything. I just want advice on ways I can get through this until I become a dentist in lets say 6 years (I don't plan on specializing). Oh yeah, I only said until I become a dentist because then I won't have to worry about school anymore. I'm not mentioning it because I think that will solve anything. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

There’s plenty of people going to dental school with a family. Some were pregnant during interviews. Some got pregnant after interviews. Some got pregnant mid-semester.

Life doesn’t stop. Don’t worry. You’ll be fine.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm entering my 3rd year of College and my girlfriend just found out she was pregnant. I'm applying to dental school in June 2019 so I'm still going for that. Lets just say that I won't have any family help at all. Is there anyone with advice on how your currently dealing with this while still going through the process of becoming a dentist. I'm not scared or anything. I just want advice on ways I can get through this until I become a dentist in lets say 6 years (I don't plan on specializing). Oh yeah, I only said until I become a dentist because then I won't have to worry about school anymore. I'm not mentioning it because I think that will solve anything. Thanks guys!
As long as your SO is supportive of your goal to be a dentist then together you can make it happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My wife had our first child when she was 3 weeks into her first year of dental school. She is now in her fourth year and we are expecting our second in November. It is definitely possible!!

The biggest thing, is to have a plan. Who's going to watch the baby, how will bills work, etc... a conversation I wish we would have had is time commitment. The first year of dental school is a lot of studying and at times I definitely felt like a single parent. So make sure she understands that is the lifestyle for the first year and then make sure you help out in the ways you can (small things like dishes and laundry go a long way).

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
You might have to take out more loans than usual when dental school starts. unless you plan to have money already saved to pay for dental school. Otherwise, seems like you just have to put together a plan with your girlfriend

There’s plenty of people going to dental school with a family. Some were pregnant during interviews. Some got pregnant after interviews. Some got pregnant mid-semester.

Life doesn’t stop. Don’t worry. You’ll be fine.

Classmate had to repeat a year because he had a child during the first semester and had difficulties keeping up with the work load. And the paleness I witnessed every day from him from exhaustion and tiredness? Poor guy. And there were people without children that had to repeat the year too. Theres a time and a place for certain things. My personal life was a train wreck during dental school, for issues beyond my control. Bless the people who willingly want to have a child and add to their stress to an already stressful academic journey.

You're right, life doesn't stop. But it doesn't always bend to our will and he had to borrow another 70k to repeat the year, not to mention the countless sleepless nights he had to get him looking the way he did.

OP, I'm confused. In your earlier post a few weeks ago you said you're a single father and your girlfriend died from child birth complications? Is this your second child or was there something lost in translation?

OP, I'm confused. In your earlier post a few weeks ago you said you're a single father and your girlfriend died from child birth complications? Is this your second child or was there something lost in translation?

Whaaaaat...I’m curious too