About to pull the trigger...please help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moca83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good GPA and good EC's, but without a MCAT score, it's tough to say. Considering the fact that you wouldn't have an MCAT score until the end of February/early March, I would advise against applying this cycle.

Study hard for the MCAT, and make sure everything is ready to go when the next application cycle opens, and you will do great :thumbup:

I would apply next year. Give yourself plenty of time to study for the mcat. Then assuming you have everything in line by the beginning of May start putting your application together and be able to submit it on June 1st (or what ever day is the first day you can submit your application next year).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, your MCAT score is a complete unknown right now. BTW, why did you take an almost 5 hour exam in 1:47??

I would say study your ass off and apply next year.

If you REALLY want to apply this year, this is the only way it could work:
Start preparing for the MCAT and take some FULL LENGTH practice tests. If you are able to score very high (like 30+), its possible you could take the January MCAT and still get in this cycle though you will be vomitously late. But, as I said, if you CRUSH that MCAT, you might get some last minute bites.

I agree with everyone that you should wait and apply next cycle, but if you're feeling lucky you can also apply to a couple of schools just to see if you get any bites. Also,you should put in your application around Jan 1st. so by the time your MCAT score comes out you app should be verified by then.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for your input--I am in agreement. It would not be wise for me to begin cramming for the MCAT now, only to potentially lower my current grades and score below my potential, all for the chance to apply to a handful of schools. I actually called the admissions depts of five different schools and they all pretty much said that there would be only a small chance that I would be invited in for an interview this late in the game (e.g. after I took the Jan 28 MCAT). I've developed what I believe is the ideal strategy for the May 20, 2011 MCAT, if I score as well as I believe I will, I'll post the strategy on SDN. Thanks again!

Take an April MCAT if you can. If you were to take it in May, the 2011-2012 AACOMAS application will have already been open for a month before you get your score. With your good GPA that won't hurt too much, but it's better to be as early as possible.

Thank you all very much for your input--I am in agreement. It would not be wise for me to begin cramming for the MCAT now, only to potentially lower my current grades and score below my potential, all for the chance to apply to a handful of schools. I actually called the admissions depts of five different schools and they all pretty much said that there would be only a small chance that I would be invited in for an interview this late in the game (e.g. after I took the Jan 28 MCAT). I've developed what I believe is the ideal strategy for the May 20, 2011 MCAT, if I score as well as I believe I will, I'll post the strategy on SDN. Thanks again!

I wish you all the best. An ideal strategy huh? Be careful, you would not be the first to be humbled by this beast of a test. I ended up scoring over 15 ponts lower then I expected (I expected a perfect 45:)).