Technology About to run a (very) low-traffic blog linux server...

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Hanging with Darmok and Jalad. In Lothlorien.
Status
So in my infinite free time, I thought it might be fun to get a super cheap box and do a little home hosting, which is to say that I've grown weary of hosting a blog on my laptop.

...because that's just silly. But fun!

So! I can assemble all the stuff I need hardware-wise (box is actually being donated by a hostee), but I'm not sure what sort of functionality I need software-wise. I was thinking maybe Ubuntu 10.10 desktop would probably be just fine for a hobby box like this, but would there be anything gained at all from going for the 10.04 LTS server release (or is that super-overkill)?

(Also, any suggestions you guys have on services I'll be need to be setting up would be totally welcome.)

H2O2 Scheduling

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2007
Status
  1. Non-Student
Both will work since they are basically the same thing. From my understanding the desktop version will require you to do a little more work to get it be a server, while the server version will require more work if you choose to install a GUI.

Do you really need the GUI? If not, go Server. Otherwise it's a coin-toss. But if you're making a server I would not use the GUI.

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Hanging with Darmok and Jalad. In Lothlorien.
Status
Yeah, I went the server route, with a webmin crutch.:hungover:. I can pretty much do everything I need to from command line, so it's going surprisingly well.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads