Technology About to run a (very) low-traffic blog linux server...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in my infinite free time, I thought it might be fun to get a super cheap box and do a little home hosting, which is to say that I've grown weary of hosting a blog on my laptop.

...because that's just silly. But fun!

So! I can assemble all the stuff I need hardware-wise (box is actually being donated by a hostee), but I'm not sure what sort of functionality I need software-wise. I was thinking maybe Ubuntu 10.10 desktop would probably be just fine for a hobby box like this, but would there be anything gained at all from going for the 10.04 LTS server release (or is that super-overkill)?

(Also, any suggestions you guys have on services I'll be need to be setting up would be totally welcome.)

Members don't see this ad.

Both will work since they are basically the same thing. From my understanding the desktop version will require you to do a little more work to get it be a server, while the server version will require more work if you choose to install a GUI.

Do you really need the GUI? If not, go Server. Otherwise it's a coin-toss. But if you're making a server I would not use the GUI.

Yeah, I went the server route, with a webmin crutch.:hungover:. I can pretty much do everything I need to from command line, so it's going surprisingly well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered just running a virtual machine? It's more portable.

Have you considered just running a virtual machine? It's more portable.

Ah, well that's just it. The ports I need are blocked at school and my laptop's not always on, so my blog'd be down 60% of the time.