? about URM.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wander

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was born in the Dominican Republic. Would that be of any help when med schools look at my application. Am I considered a URM?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but you are not. The only Hispanics who are considered URM's are Mexican Amercian/Chicanos. Welcome to SDN! :)

Of the latinos in the world, only Mexicans and Puerto Ricans are considered official URM for medical school admissions. However, your ethnicity (I am a Dominican/Cuban mutt, although I was born in the states) can play a factor in admittance. Many schools look for a diverse class and will take your background into consideration. Being bilingual will only help you application.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by mpp:
•I am a Dominican/Cuban mutt, although I was born in the states•••••mpp, I had no idea!! I am partially Mexican American. I think it did help my app at many schools, although at UW, the multicultural guy was annoyed that Spanish wasn't my first language!

Yeah, just to be clear...both Chicanos AND mainlaind Puerto Ricans are considered URMs. Any other Hispanic ethnicity is not.