1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

? about URM.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wander, Mar 26, 2002.

1. wander

wander Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was born in the Dominican Republic. Would that be of any help when med schools look at my application. Am I considered a URM?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Sorry, but you are not. The only Hispanics who are considered URM's are Mexican Amercian/Chicanos. Welcome to SDN! :)

4. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Of the latinos in the world, only Mexicans and Puerto Ricans are considered official URM for medical school admissions. However, your ethnicity (I am a Dominican/Cuban mutt, although I was born in the states) can play a factor in admittance. Many schools look for a diverse class and will take your background into consideration. Being bilingual will only help you application.

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mpp:
    <strong>I am a Dominican/Cuban mutt, although I was born in the states</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">mpp, I had no idea!! I am partially Mexican American. I think it did help my app at many schools, although at UW, the multicultural guy was annoyed that Spanish wasn't my first language!

6. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, just to be clear...both Chicanos AND mainlaind Puerto Ricans are considered URMs. Any other Hispanic ethnicity is not.