SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

about writing?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by abacus, Apr 25, 2007.

1. abacus

abacus

Dec 16, 2006
    is there any body regiested for Jun PCAT?
    I just got the Candidate Information Booklet from Harcourt last week. According to that there are two writing topics for the whole test. Does that mean we need write both of them or still just choose which ever you feel more comfortable about?
    This is my first time to take PCAT, so I feel really confused about that.
    And how you guys prepare for writing? For just 30 mins how many words we need put in the paper?
    any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. think

think Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2006
    i took it i

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  4. Circuspeanut

Circuspeanut College Slave 7+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Kentucky
    I took it in January, and I'll be taking it again in June. There was only one topic in January, the June cycle is introducing a second topic. Along with that, the questions in Biology, Chemistry, and Quantitative are reduced from 58 to 48. I'm not sure yet about timing. There will be two topics, we have to write on both. Only one will be scored and sent to schools. I'm not sure which one though.

As far as number of words, don't worry about that. Focus instead on a general outline for your topic, and make sure to get in a thesis, examples, and a conclusion. You'll waste time trying to do a word count.

I follow this outline:

Paragraph I:
    Introduction, thesis.

Paragraph II: topic sentence, related examples

Paragraph III: topic sentence, related examples

Paragraph IV: Sum up (no new info in this paragraph, relate it to your previous information) and conclusion.

5. abacus

abacus

Dec 16, 2006
    thanks for your reply.
    I checked the booklet again and on the "sample personal score report" there are two writing scores: conventions of language and problem solving, so I think maybe they will count both of them