ABP Application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayjay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

so I didn't realize ABP deadline was in November. Luckily they have another on (albeit more expensive) on Feb15 so I am scurrying around trying to get the darn thing done!!

I've got my references (god bless them) and my transcripts/MCAT info has been sent/included in the app package. The PDF application took all of 10 minutes to complete. I have basically till the end of this week to write my essay and then send it priority/rush to ABP.

One thing about the graduate student transcripts. I'm due to defend my thesis around early-mid summer. Do I need to include a letter with my application stating the approximate date of graduation by my supervisor/senior faculty member?

I feel bad repeatedly emailing/calling ABP to ask this stuff. They probably hate me.

Anything else I'm forgetting?? Passport photo, check...that was a random request.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to spend more time on the PDF package, there are some fields regarding funding, academic achievements, and ec's that are important. When I sent my package I also submitted my employment history separately. You can mention the date of graduation in your essay or in one of the fields above, but thats up to you.

I put all that stuff more in my CV than on the application. I mentioned a few scholarships but put things like publications and employment on my CV

Members don't see this ad :)
rayjay--

Your prior posts indicate a preference to attending med school in Australia; why the sudden interest in Ireland?

To be honest I had always thought about Ireland but up until recently was under the impression that it was significantly more expensive. This was until a friend pointed out that they are more or less the same price. So all my previous research and emails regarding irish schools got dug up again and I decided to give it a go.

If I get into both I'm still not sure which I'll choose.

Thanks!! I appreciate the encouragement tachyon!
Yeah ABP told me today that the late deadline is the 15th...sucks that I have to pay an extra $25 per application but it's only an extra $100 in the long run.

I'm just worried about my ugrad gpa and I'm not sure how much credit I'll get for a high graduate gpa even it's a thesis-based.

I'm not entirely sure, either, whether our graduate school performance carries significant weight in comparison to undergrad but I sure hope it does! I'd say my grad school experience has better prepared me in terms of self-directed study and it's furthered my interests in improving health care delivery through medical research. Of course, all the core science courses are taught on the undergraduate level but I felt grad school to be more intellectually rigorous - I just hope the Irish admissions committees recognize this!

I hope grad school performance is taken into account as well. I totally hear you on the self directed study thing. I feel as if my ability to absorb info has been heightened because of it. On top of that critical thinking, etc. Anyway, I think Irish admissions do recognize grad work. They definitely seem to in the sciences. The arts, who knows. I have not known anyone with an MA that applied.

Well for what it's worth the ABP people told me that I'd be a competitive applicant when I told them my ugrad gpa versus my grad GPA. I take that with a grain of salt though because me applying means money for them. Gives me a little hope though :)

Well for what it's worth the ABP people told me that I'd be a competitive applicant when I told them my ugrad gpa versus my grad GPA. I take that with a grain of salt though because me applying means money for them. Gives me a little hope though :)

I honestly do not know what to think of ABP. Such an emphasis on the November deadline, and yet they are only just sending out applications to the schools. Is there any advantage to meeting the deadline? Seems like there are many deadlines. Makes me wonder. I had figured it was like the American system, where admissions are on a rolling basis and applying early is a bonus. But with ABP it seems like one could just sidestep the whole thing and apply directly in February to the Irish schools.

I had the same question the other day. I emailed them.

They basically told me that "if there was any disadvantage to students applying in February we would not accept applications". I didn't really know what to make of it either given that there are two application dates. The ONLY thing I can think of is that students applying in November get acceptances to US schools (Canadian acceptances only go out in May since they aren't rolling) and students withdraw they're applications to the Irish schools. Dunno if that would make sense or not.

If you apply late in february you miss out on the first set of rcsi interviews - which are already scheduled.

Think a little......

It is not an online application .....therefore it takes time to sort out the applications and distribute them to each of the Universities to which you are applying.......

And you lot want to be Doctors!!! Hah:D

Think a little......

It is not an online application .....therefore it takes time to sort out the applications and distribute them to each of the Universities to which you are applying.......

You dont have a clue about the ABP application process. Way to belittle the thread with your useless post, doc.

Last edited:
Think a little......

Wow. Unnecessary.

Thankfully, username Admin has shown me the light. I guess I am not cut out for medicine. Say hello to lucrative career as asst. manager (hopefully) at McDonald's!