ABR Exam Changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hatothebib

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am hoping that someone can answer this for me. i realize it's a little early to be worring about this but i'll ask anyway. i just matched into radiology this year & during my interviews, program directors were talking about the new ABR exam, but no one ever said if it will start with my class (residents starting rads in 2009) or with a later class. i looked at the ABR website & it said that it will start with mine, but perhaps it could start with later classes. has anyone heard for sure when the changes will take place? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

First, congrats on matching. Welcome to the club! Radiology is a fantastic field with a bright future. Unfortunately, as awesome as radiology may be, you gotta get hazed before the ABR considers you worthy of the title 'radiologist'.

You are right... its way too early to worry about such things, and second so what? Short of giving up your first born or giving them a kidney, you are going to jump through what ever flaming hoops they tell you to if you want to be board certified. That means you will take the exam at their pleasure whether its your senior year or the year after.

Kinda like how I had to cough up 900 bucks for EACH step of the ABR, and book travel and lodging to take this friggin test in some random-arse hotel in BFE Kentucky!

Now, if you are still dying to know-- whatever the ABR says trumps any rumor that any current resident may have heard (besides none of the current residents will have to participate in the new format.)

If you really want to know, you can contact the ABR directly. Don't worry they won't bite... at least not the hand that feeds them checks for 1000 dollars for each step of the boards and the q10 year 2000 dollar check for the MOC.

thanks hans. you make very good points. i suppose it's equivalent to asking about USMLE just after getting into med school. i was more curious than anything. anyway, i am very excited about my residency--i couldn't imagine doing any other field of medicine. just gotta survive intern year now...

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks hans. you make very good points. i suppose it's equivalent to asking about USMLE just after getting into med school. i was more curious than anything. anyway, i am very excited about my residency--i couldn't imagine doing any other field of medicine. just gotta survive intern year now...

Sorry. I'm studying for the orals right now and just venting. Gotta love the ABR! :love:;)

The PD at my program told that they changed this and moved it to after residency because 4th years always stress over the test and don't spend as much time in the reading roooms learning.

This is so stupid because so now you have to take it during fellowship? How are you gonna have time to study for this test and learn for ur subspecialty?

First, congrats on matching. Welcome to the club! Radiology is a fantastic field with a bright future. Unfortunately, as awesome as radiology may be, you gotta get hazed before the ABR considers you worthy of the title 'radiologist'.

You are right... its way too early to worry about such things, and second so what? Short of giving up your first born or giving them a kidney, you are going to jump through what ever flaming hoops they tell you to if you want to be board certified. That means you will take the exam at their pleasure whether its your senior year or the year after.

Kinda like how I had to cough up 900 bucks for EACH step of the ABR, and book travel and lodging to take this friggin test in some random-arse hotel in BFE Kentucky!

Now, if you are still dying to know-- whatever the ABR says trumps any rumor that any current resident may have heard (besides none of the current residents will have to participate in the new format.)

If you really want to know, you can contact the ABR directly. Don't worry they won't bite... at least not the hand that feeds them checks for 1000 dollars for each step of the boards and the q10 year 2000 dollar check for the MOC.

Excellent and spot-on. As usual!

:thumbup: