Abroad or Exchange Programs in Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrNiceThai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello gang,

I was just wondering if you knew if it was common in pharmacy schools to offer an opportunity to learn/work/intern overseas? I was just curious because I'd really like a chance to experience pharmaceutical work from an international perspective. I've heard of some schools but I was checking the school I got into (VCU) and I didn't see anything on the website indicating such.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out mercer.edu in Atlanta. Also, I've called some schools and asked them about the potential to do rotations abroad and many of them say it's possible if you arrange everything far in advance.

I know the University of Arizona does. They even have a specific person to help you do the rotation. A downside is the extra money you would have to pay, but I agree it would be a really great and interesting opportunity.

I'm sure if you contacted someone at your school they could tell you if they have a program set up. Congrats on getting in by the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, this also is a question I've been wondering about. I know U of Michigan offers rotations abroad, but I don't know how many other schools have a program set up.

Hello gang,

I was just wondering if you knew if it was common in pharmacy schools to offer an opportunity to learn/work/intern overseas? I was just curious because I'd really like a chance to experience pharmaceutical work from an international perspective. I've heard of some schools but I was checking the school I got into (VCU) and I didn't see anything on the website indicating such.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Hey there

We had an intern at the hospital who went to Italy during one of her rotations. She said it was a good experience. I don't know if VCU offers any other locations.

See you in the fall

thanks for the replies all. yeah, i'll give the school a call and ask sometime next week. also thanks for the congrats fenix. pills, i'll see you in the fall brother/sister.

Check out IPSF. They have a student exchange program that allows foreign pharmacy students to come to the U.S. and vice versa. Our school is trying to set up its own chapter, but I don't think that your school has to have its own chapter if you want to do an exchange.

I actually got to meet the executive board of IPSF last month (I'm a regional officer of APhA-ASP, and the two organizations work together). It seems like a great program!

Thank you all for the information - I am very interested in international work. There is also a program called 'Pharmacists without Borders' - http://www.psfci.org/ - which may be of interest to you after pharmacy school. The website is in French but there is also an English version.