ABSOLUTELY HATING pharmacy school right now

Started by Superzooi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Superzooi

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
taking, 7 courses, failing 5 of them

Mum made me to go into pharmacy because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do in High School (Before I even had a car).

ever since i was little, drugs had VERY little impact on my life. When I had a fever, I just wrapped myself with blankets and sweated until my sickness went away. When I had a cold, I just toughed it out. When I took drugs, it never worked (even sleeping pills) I've always thought medicine was a very feminine field.

Only recently (I'm still in my mid 20s), I figured that I want to do aeronautics/astronomy, I want to explore the unknown. Can someone think of any inter-relation between drugs and space? I can't quit school since it's too late I am in great debt right now and I need to work in the pharmacies for a couple of years so that I can pay off my student loan.
 
I don't know how the two would correlate with one another but I am also very interested in astronomy as well. You're definitely gonna want to get the debt out of the way before you pursue something else. Best of luck
 
taking, 7 courses, failing 5 of them

Mum made me to go into pharmacy because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do in High School (Before I even had a car).

ever since i was little, drugs had VERY little impact on my life. When I had a fever, I just wrapped myself with blankets and sweated until my sickness went away. When I had a cold, I just toughed it out. When I took drugs, it never worked (even sleeping pills) I've always thought medicine was a very feminine field.

Only recently (I'm still in my mid 20s), I figured that I want to do aeronautics/astronomy, I want to explore the unknown. Can someone think of any inter-relation between drugs and space? I can't quit school since it's too late I am in great debt right now and I need to work in the pharmacies for a couple of years so that I can pay off my student loan.


Please don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not trying to be mean, but... you are failing five of your seven classes, and you're worried about student loans after graduation? At the rate you're going, you will not graduate. You need to either drop out now and cut your losses, or if you really want to get your PharmD, glue your butt to a chair and start studying before you flunk out.

I can't think of any correlation between astronomy and pharmacy, but don't let that discourage you - I know a lot of folks whose first career was completely unrelated to their second.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The road leading to any profession is going to be tedious and boring before you learn/know enough to actually ENJOY that field. With that said, aeronautrics/astronomy may seem interesting but a lot of the course work isn't cake walk either. If you don't have the discipline to do well in school, that habit is going to carry over to any major u change to. My advice for you is to get your act together and be honest with yourself. If you are really failing 5/7 classes, you are wasting your time in pharmacy school as you will NOT graduate. If you decide to SERIOUSLY pursue aeronautrics/astronomy, speak to students in that major, check out their coursework, and research on their job market. Good luck 🙂
 
The road leading to any profession is going to be tedious and boring before you learn/know enough to actually ENJOY that field.

Not exactly true with pharmacy. Anyone who worked in retail for a few months know whether or not he would like the field. Yes, there are non-retail jobs but the vast majority of jobs are in retail.

Besides, with your poor grades, what program is going to accept you now? Most likely you would need to start all over gain (i.e., going to a community college for a couple of years).

How much debt do you owe now? How much debt are you expecting to owe if you graduate (including interest)?
 
Not exactly true with pharmacy. Anyone who worked in retail for a few months know whether or not he would like the field. Yes, there are non-retail jobs but the vast majority of jobs are in retail.

Retail takes a few weeks. POS system, corporate orders, cheesy decorum, overpriced OTC items that can be bought for cheaper on the internet, overpriced medications that are likely cheaper through mail order or a different pharmacy, calling patients three times a day to boost corporate metrics, contacting the doctors to re-script children's 1 mg fluoride for a double dose of 0.5 mg b/c the warehouse or corporate is either jew'ing out their regular fluoride providers so the CEO can continue to juke stocks and take home a couple more million, or dealing with patients who don't know the name & d.o.b. of the patient they are picking for, the name of the medication they are going to take, are currently taking, or have been taking, flu shots. Few weeks... few days maybe.
 
taking, 7 courses, failing 5 of them
Can someone think of any inter-relation between drugs and space?
4318430+_fce37905991fea881590c316d25b85a8.jpg

But seriously, if you haven't already, you need Carl Sagan in your life.
 
If you're capable of working in astronomy then pharmacy should be easy.

I advise get healthy, and smoothly graduate

Parents do have untoward control, and, in these days of high tuition and housing, by extension so do the powers that be. They manipulate your parents into manipulating you..

Anyhow, if you are any way capable, get healthy and you will be able to blaze your own path. Do so before you are over the hill, which is 28 years of age
 
I can't think of any correlation between astronomy and pharmacy...

Benefits of space station research - NASA

The Microencapsulation Electrostatic Processing System-II experiment, or MEPS-II, led by Dennis Morrison, Ph.D. (retired), at NASA Johnson Space Center, was performed on the station in 2002 and included innovative encapsulation of several different anti-cancer drugs, magnetic triggering particles, and encapsulation of genetically engineered DNA.

<snip>

As a result of this space station research, the results from the MEPS-II experiments have provided new insight into the best formulations and conditions required to produce microcapsules of different drugs, particularly special capsules containing diagnostic imaging materials and triggered release particles.

Vaccine research too.
 
I have to agree with the others, pharmacy is pretty heavy on science, if you can't do pharmacy science, it's unlikely that you would be able to do astronomical science. It's also unlikely that you will ever actually be a pharmacist, given that you are failing 5 of your 7 courses You are half-way through the semester, so if its that you've just been partying all semester, there is still time to buckle down & catch up, and get a passing grade like a C. If you are struggling because the coursework is too hard, I would cut your losses and get out of pharmacy school now.
 
Oh, how I can relate to part of your post.
Picture it:1985 and a fresh faced, 17y/o boy graduating from High School. Two choices were put on the career table before me. My parents said: Pharmacist or Mailman. I chose mailman. They bribed me with a brand new Acura Legend. I started college immediately for Pharmacy.
Hold hands and jump with me to 1990. I'm 22 y/o and a newly licensed Pharmacist. My first job was with Rite Aid. I still had acne, looked no older than 16 and I was making $30/hour.
Many, if not all, said my parents were wrong. It was the best move of my life, being pushed into Pharmacy. I CAN NEVER THANK THEM ENOUGH. If you get your degree, you'll always have a JOB to fall back on. Then follow your dream, whatever it is.

I'm just now finishing an 8 year hiatus from Pharmacy. I've worked as a tech. for the last few months (pure Hell), while preparing for the NAPLEX AND CPJE. SpongeBob SquarePants willing, 12/19/2013'ish I will sit for and pass the exams. Then, like that, I will get a job where, I WILL BE PAID NO LESS THAN $68/HOUR. I'm older, confident and know the employers NEED me.
You have some tough decisions ahead of you. I share with you my experience and hope whatever your decision is, it makes you happy and supports you financially.
 
Oh, how I can relate to part of your post.
Picture it:1985 and a fresh faced, 17y/o boy graduating from High School. Two choices were put on the career table before me. My parents said: Pharmacist or Mailman. I chose mailman. They bribed me with a brand new Acura Legend. I started college immediately for Pharmacy.
Hold hands and jump with me to 1990. I'm 22 y/o and a newly licensed Pharmacist. My first job was with Rite Aid. I still had acne, looked no older than 16 and I was making $30/hour.
Many, if not all, said my parents were wrong. It was the best move of my life, being pushed into Pharmacy. I CAN NEVER THANK THEM ENOUGH. If you get your degree, you'll always have a JOB to fall back on. Then follow your dream, whatever it is.

I'm just now finishing an 8 year hiatus from Pharmacy. I've worked as a tech. for the last few months (pure Hell), while preparing for the NAPLEX AND CPJE. SpongeBob SquarePants willing, 12/19/2013'ish I will sit for and pass the exams. Then, like that, I will get a job where, I WILL BE PAID NO LESS THAN $68/HOUR. I'm older, confident and know the employers NEED me.
You have some tough decisions ahead of you. I share with you my experience and hope whatever your decision is, it makes you happy and supports you financially.

Why would you work as a tech? Did you let your license expire? Why wouldn't you have sat for the boards instead of working as a tech making a fourth of pay?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
taking, 7 courses, failing 5 of them

Mum made me to go into pharmacy because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do in High School (Before I even had a car).

ever since i was little, drugs had VERY little impact on my life. When I had a fever, I just wrapped myself with blankets and sweated until my sickness went away. When I had a cold, I just toughed it out. When I took drugs, it never worked (even sleeping pills) I've always thought medicine was a very feminine field.

Only recently (I'm still in my mid 20s), I figured that I want to do aeronautics/astronomy, I want to explore the unknown. Can someone think of any inter-relation between drugs and space? I can't quit school since it's too late I am in great debt right now and I need to work in the pharmacies for a couple of years so that I can pay off my student loan.

Haha, if you hate pharmacy school now, just wait until you become a retail pharmacist and you got a dozen waiting scripts to check, phones ringing off the hook, technicians calling off, people yelling at you about their $40 copays for their $3,000 humira, and a line up at drive thru with people honking and calling the pharmacy wondering whats taking so long, lol. Might want to seriously consider if pharmacy is the path in life that you want
 
taking, 7 courses, failing 5 of them

Mum made me to go into pharmacy because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do in High School (Before I even had a car).

ever since i was little, drugs had VERY little impact on my life. When I had a fever, I just wrapped myself with blankets and sweated until my sickness went away. When I had a cold, I just toughed it out. When I took drugs, it never worked (even sleeping pills) I've always thought medicine was a very feminine field.

Only recently (I'm still in my mid 20s), I figured that I want to do aeronautics/astronomy, I want to explore the unknown. Can someone think of any inter-relation between drugs and space? I can't quit school since it's too late I am in great debt right now and I need to work in the pharmacies for a couple of years so that I can pay off my student loan.

You sound like you want to drop out. I don't think there is a link between astronomy and drugs.
 
We had a class in college referred to as "Stars for Stoners". People smoked pot then went to Intro to Astronomy as it was general considered the easiest science class at the school. There's your link.
 
ur still day dreaming if u want to switch to astronomy. its not about what u want. its about what jobs are hiring, and astronomy is as distant as the next galaxy. do what chinese ppl do. find out what jobs companies are hiring and go for it if pharmacy isnt right for u.
 
It is best to try to graduate if you Know for sure you can and pay off the debt. You are young so pursuing other interests are still definitely viable if you have stable income. Nothing is too late when you are debt free.
 
Haha, if you hate pharmacy school now, just wait until you become a retail pharmacist and you got a dozen waiting scripts to check, phones ringing off the hook, technicians calling off, people yelling at you about their $40 copays for their $3,000 humira, and a line up at drive thru with people honking and calling the pharmacy wondering whats taking so long, lol. Might want to seriously consider if pharmacy is the path in life that you want

Or you want to work in a hospital, and find out the hard way that most of them are only hiring residency-trained recent graduates.

My BFF told me yesterday that his employer, which is in a state where I'm not licensed, always has openings, but I suspect it's because people don't want to work there. He still says it's better than Walgreens.
 
Or you want to work in a hospital, and find out the hard way that most of them are only hiring residency-trained recent graduates.

My BFF told me yesterday that his employer, which is in a state where I'm not licensed, always has openings, but I suspect it's because people don't want to work there. He still says it's better than Walgreens.

The hospital where I work per-diem told me that for their day-time full-time staff pharmacist positions, they only hire residency trained pharmacists. (Albeit, rounding is part of the job for staff pharmacists here).

Meanwhile, another one of the per-diem pharmacists here is a girl who's 2nd year residency got cancelled due to the program losing funding and now even as a PGY1, the only job she has is as a per-diem staff pharmacist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad