abuse deterrent oxycodone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxRetailRx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a patient trying to fill a Rx for “ oxycodone abuse deterrent 10mg “
, and told us nobody has it ....a tech tried to help him and finally came to me asking if we have it ? I looked at this Rx, immediately have OxyContin and Xtampza jump to my mind, however, should Dr more specific? Re-write it as OxyContin or Xtampza ? what’s your thought? Would you fill it ?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you could legally fill it with either, since it's written so generically. The doctor probably did that because he didn't know what the pt's insurance would pay for (and if he wrote the wrong brand name, then the whole script would have to be rewritten. I would call and clarify with the doctor, but first I would find out what the pt's insurance will pay for, then you can call the doctor and let him know ins will pay for Oxycontin, and clarify if that is OK with him.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you could legally fill it with either, since it's written so generically. The doctor probably did that because he didn't know what the pt's insurance would pay for (and if he wrote the wrong brand name, then the whole script would have to be rewritten. I would call and clarify with the doctor, but first I would find out what the pt's insurance will pay for, then you can call the doctor and let him know ins will pay for Oxycontin, and clarify if that is OK with him.
Xtampza is a capsule, and dosage form is required element on a controlled substance Rx, so they can’t use either. If it says tablet, it’s OxyContin. Capsule it’s Xtampza. But I’d call to clarify either way if it didn’t also say “ER” or something equivalent on there.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Xtampza is a capsule, and dosage form is required element on a controlled substance Rx, so they can’t use either. If it says tablet, it’s OxyContin. Capsule it’s Xtampza. But I’d call to clarify either way if it didn’t also say “ER” or something equivalent on there.

Good point, although presumably the doctor didn't write that on the script (it' s not in the first post anyway.) A better point is that it didn't say ER on it, I missed that point, that definitely would have to be clarified with the doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
Oxaydo is oxycodone ir abuse deterrant. Manufacturer has a coupon that gives you $15 copay if you have commercial insurance even if it was rejected by your primary (non formulary, opiate limits, etc). The regular oxycodone 5mg tablets are tiny but these are big tablets.

Oxaydo is oxycodone ir abuse deterrant. Manufacturer has a coupon that gives you $15 copay if you have commercial insurance even if it was rejected by your primary (non formulary, opiate limits, etc). The regular oxycodone 5mg tablets are tiny but these are big tablets.
They don’t come in 10mg, so it’s not those.