Academia --> Private Practice?

Started by rd31
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rd31

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of my biggest fears going into GI fellowship with plans to become a clinical researcher is not really making it or getting burned out. If academia doesn't work out, how hard is it to then go into private practice after a few years? I'd imagine it's more difficult to go from private practice into academia, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
 
One of my biggest fears going into GI fellowship with plans to become a clinical researcher is not really making it or getting burned out. If academia doesn't work out, how hard is it to then go into private practice after a few years? I'd imagine it's more difficult to go from private practice into academia, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am a first year GI fellow, but I'd imagine the transition from academics to clinical being easier than the other way around as long as you go to a program that has high enough scope volume to be proficient with basic GI procedures.
 
more likely to get burned out in private practice rather than the other way around...