Academia --> Private Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rd31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my biggest fears going into GI fellowship with plans to become a clinical researcher is not really making it or getting burned out. If academia doesn't work out, how hard is it to then go into private practice after a few years? I'd imagine it's more difficult to go from private practice into academia, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my biggest fears going into GI fellowship with plans to become a clinical researcher is not really making it or getting burned out. If academia doesn't work out, how hard is it to then go into private practice after a few years? I'd imagine it's more difficult to go from private practice into academia, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am a first year GI fellow, but I'd imagine the transition from academics to clinical being easier than the other way around as long as you go to a program that has high enough scope volume to be proficient with basic GI procedures.

more likely to get burned out in private practice rather than the other way around...

Reactions: 1 user