Academia vs. Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twiggers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From my understanding the job options available to either route are somewhat limited. Academia involves working your way up from an associate professorship (if you can even start that high...most likely as a lecturer)...that will maybe pay half decently within 5 years.
Private practice on the other hand seems to be going to hell in a handbasket. HMOs everywhere, MSW, etc. Not only that but the costs associated with starting up a private practice, and gradually building a clientele.
Fresh out of grad school you're job options are somewhat limited...with employers wanting "experience".....or you start somewhere making barely enough to pay off the student loan bills which will start rolling in 6 months after graduation.
Soooo......really you just gotta do it because you love it right? LOL.
I'm just seriously confused. I chose to apply clinical because it gave me the option of private practice one day, but the reality of that is just so grim. Another route like development, etc. seems to have more open doors for teaching and research. I just don't know....the subject matter of clinical is really interesting (just spent last Friday watching diagnosis of a 9 yr old Bipolar II patient and was so fascinated by the patient).....but the competetiveness and the options later on down the road seem so bleak.
Arggg.....any thoughts??? Am I making any sense or just being silly :)

Members don't see this ad.

It seems as if this is all we talk about is this forum these days. My personal opinion,go with clinical. The reason I say this is because even with both outlooks being grim, you have twice as much of a chance at getting a decent job by trying in the academic and service provider markets. Also, don't forget about salaried clinical positions at hospitals and such.

Sanman said:
It seems as if this is all we talk about is this forum these days. My personal opinion,go with clinical. The reason I say this is because even with both outlooks being grim, you have twice as much of a chance at getting a decent job by trying in the academic and service provider markets. Also, don't forget about salaried clinical positions at hospitals and such.

what kind of yearly income can a clinical psych person expect to make if they were on salary at a hospital? or tried to do hospital and private practice split down the middle?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
According to my faculty (I'm at a Canadian university in a large city) it takes three years to stabilize your private practice ..... but likewise, I'm still deciding between academics and clinical practice.... I'm considering working in a hospital where I can both practice and research but I've been told that politics are bad in these places....

gaki said:
what kind of yearly income can a clinical psych person expect to make if they were on salary at a hospital? or tried to do hospital and private practice split down the middle?

thanks

I'd say $50-70K to start at a hospital. Same in academia. Neuropsychologists can expect $50-80K to start, and $80K+ after a few years of practice. Average salary for a neuropsychologist with 5+ years of experience is $100K(http://www.centerforhealthyaging.com/NatPsychArticles/Sept_Oct_2001.htm). Check out the following: Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 2003 Aug;18(6):557-82. Sweet JJ, Peck EA 3rd, Abramowitz C, Etzweiler S.
National Academy of Neuropsychology/Division 40 of the American Psychological Association Practice Survey of Clinical Neuropsychology in the United States. Part II: Reimbursement experiences, practice economics, billing practices, and incomes.

VA hospitals pay a bit better:

Occupational Title:
Psychologist
Position Title:
STAFF PSYCHOLOGIST (MP-04-270-AC)
Facility Name:
MIAMI
Assigned To:
Psychology Service
Job Number:
VHA546PSYC46136
Grade:
GS-180-13
Salary:
$72,680 to $94,486 per annum
Opening Date:
08/24/04
Closing Date:
09/14/04
Full Time:
Yes
Supervisory Status:
No
Required Forms:
VA Form 5-4676a (Employee Supplemental Qualifications Statement) VA Form 5-4667b (Supervisory Appraisal of Employee for Promotion) SF-50
Position Summary:
Psychologists engage in professional and scientific work, which relates to behavior, capacities, traits, interests and emotions. This work may include any one or a combination of the following: providing professional clinical services, conducting research, carrying out education and training activities, clinical consultation, supervision and administration. Such work functions involve: 1. Applying psychological principles, theories, methods and techniques in the delivery of professional services in health and rehabilitation service settings. 2. Developing scientific principles or theories concerning the relationship of behavior to factors of environment, experience or physiology; or to seek and develop practical applications of research findings. 3. Furnishing professional advice, opinion or assistance to solutions of problems, on feasibility and evaluation of projects, programs, research plans, data or techniques in connection with services, research, training and administration
Location Summary:
The South Florida area offers extraordinary social, recreational and cultural activities, nice beaches, warm weather and no state income tax.
Position Requirements:
A. Basic Requirements: 1. United States Citizenship 2. English Language Proficiency 3. Doctoral degree in Psychology from a college or university approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, have completed study for such degree in a specialty area of psychology and an internship which are satisfactory to the Secretary, and be licensed or certified as a psychologist in a State, except that the Secretary may waive the requirement of licensure or certification for an individual psychologist for a period not to exceed 2 years on the condition that such psychologist provide patient care only under the direct supervision of a psychologist who is so licensed or certified.*Approved doctoral programs are those from an accredited college or university whose curriculum psychology is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA). B. Specialized Experience: Two (2) years of postdoctoral experience appropriate to the specialty area of the position.
Organization Address:
1201 N.W. 16th Street Miami, FL 33125
Organization Contact:
Recruitment & Placement Office (05)
OrganizationPhone
(305) 324-4455
Announcement Number:
MP-04-270-AC

http://www.vacareers.com/jobdetails...&searchvar=all&OccupationalTitle=Psychologist

Where in academia re you going to start that high? APA shows salary guidlines at around 35-50 during first 3 years. Many people coming out of PhD programs are only starting out as lecturers or associate professors due to large cutbacks that public university systems are facing. Even the stats for private universities weren't that much higher. Are those numbers you are quoting for larger coastal metropolitan areas?

twiggers said:
Where in academia re you going to start that high? APA shows salary guidlines at around 35-50 during first 3 years. Many people coming out of PhD programs are only starting out as lecturers or associate professors due to large cutbacks that public university systems are facing. Even the stats for private universities weren't that much higher. Are those numbers you are quoting for larger coastal metropolitan areas?

I was referring to medical school academic positions (scroll down a bit): http://research.apa.org/01salary/table1.pdf