"Academic Achievements"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmsed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly do they want when they ask for "academic achievements"? Do they mean things like making the Dean's list, research presentations, etc?

The "what is your most significant academic achievement" question is on a couple of secondaries, including Yale, and I was just wondering wut other people were putting, especially at the top schools. I have an ok GPA (3.77, with 4.0 last 2 semesters), and ok MCATS (11/13/13/T) and double majoring in math and history, with several ECs, but I can't think of anything SPECIAL that I "achieved academically."

Wut exactly are they looking for?

Members don't see this ad.

i use it to go mroe in depth with my research project.

So a 37 MCAT and 3.77 is not good enough...:rolleyes:

I think you could mention these...but also they might want to learn about some outside achievements: ie writing awards, science awards, research publications, or some sort of recognition of some excellence related to academics. Hope that helps and please realize your stats are awesome...please. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah....please.

maybe you could tell them that you're really humble. to a fault. REALLY. :rolleyes:

yeah you might consider applying to the carribian with only an OK 37T.

I might be giving my .02 here, but I think if you have stats like that you shouldn't be posting on a thread asking us what to put. You should have already figured it on your own. I think you are looking for people to say you have great stats and all. If it is that tough for you, you should be asking your advisor what to put, they should know you really well & would be able to give better advice than us.

Originally posted by Giving My .02
I might be giving my .02 here, but I think if you have stats like that you shouldn't be posting on a thread asking us what to put. You should have already figured it on your own. I think you are looking for people to say you have great stats and all. If it is that tough for you, you should be asking your advisor what to put, they should know you really well & would be able to give better advice than us.

Good point. If you want to mention your GPA and MCAT as academic achievements, then do it.

You are obviously stat-dropping to satisfy yourself in some way, as those were completely unuseful in designating academic achievements for you AND you seem to have answered your own question. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Gleevec
Good point. If you want to mention your GPA and MCAT as academic achievements, then do it.

You are obviously stat-dropping to satisfy yourself in some way, as those were completely unuseful in designating academic achievements for you AND you seem to have answered your own question. :rolleyes:

Good grief!!!

I listed some stuff that I won in high school too...like Toyota National Community Scholar Scholarship, National Coca Cola Scholar Scholarship, Dean's Lists, Stipends for research, Vietnamese Scholar of the Year, etc....

I did manage to sneak in the "Best Sister" award given by my brother. You have nice MCAT scores and a more than decent GPA. Don't worry..everything will work out!

I dunno guys, I think this is a legitimate post. I mean, the OP qualified his/her concern: he/she has nothing "SPECIAL" to put down for academic achievements. Most likely, for the schools that he/she is applying to (Yale), a nice chunk of the students probably have those stats.

Yes, I would love to have anything close to those stats. But, if that's all I had, I'd be worried too. I'm sure the top 10 schools get plenty of applicants with stellar numbers.

tmsed - with those stats, I'm sure you have some unique academic aspect (cool research?). Heck, I imagine you could possible even talk about an extremely difficult class you managed to do well in. The important aspect of that question is probably to discuss how you achieved it (persistence, planning, etc.); dwell on your personal characteristics rather than the achievement itself.

(just my .02)

Good luck!

Originally posted by coredump
I dunno guys, I think this is a legitimate post. I mean, the OP qualified his/her concern: he/she has nothing "SPECIAL" to put down for academic achievements. Most likely, for the schools that he/she is applying to (Yale), a nice chunk of the students probably have those stats.

Yes, I would love to have anything close to those stats. But, if that's all I had, I'd be worried too. I'm sure the top 10 schools get plenty of applicants with stellar numbers.

tmsed - with those stats, I'm sure you have some unique academic aspect (cool research?). Heck, I imagine you could possible even talk about an extremely difficult class you managed to do well in. The important aspect of that question is probably to discuss how you achieved it (persistence, planning, etc.); dwell on your personal characteristics rather than the achievement itself.

(just my .02)

Good luck!

I am not trying to make enemies here. It might sound legit, but I think the poster is trying to justify his/her application to Yale with his/her qualifications. I agree with Gleevec. They pracitically answer their own question. If you really are being legit, do a search about the Yale secondary. It has been covered before.

+ my .02

I used that section for listing things like... Dean's List and Golden Key National Honor Society. Things like being honored by the school for something, published stuff, etc....