Academic Bankruptcy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckeye4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't do particularly well in my first semester of college six tears ago, earning just under a 2.5. This low GPA was due to a combination of being unprepared (bad study skills) and to a lesser extent, long-term illness. I am now a (non-traditional) Junior standing student; I have since aced a couple semesters and look forward to continuing this trend.

My college gives us the option to file for academic bankruptcy for one semester as long as we do it before graduation. Filing for bankruptcy replaces my grades for the chosen semester with "W"s and results in the recalculation of my GPA. My transcript would notate that I filed for academic bankruptcy.

The Good:
a) Assuming my upward trend continues, I have the potential to earn a GPA closer to the 3.8+ range versus the 3.6x+ range I'd have if I didn't file for bankruptcy.
b) The bad first semester GPA has also been haunting me for some time now and I feel this would give me a chance to redeem myself.

The Bad:
a) Wall of "W"s to explain as a result of the filing. I also have a single "W" in my sophomore year.
b) Notation of academic bankruptcy (not sure if this would be a bad thing to have)

Neutral: (I wouldn't mind staying in college for one more sem)
Filing for bankruptcy requires me to forfeit a whole sem worth of college credits and also prolongs my graduation by one semester (I'd have to retake major requirements).

Would filing for bankruptcy be worth considering?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do particularly well in my first semester of college six tears ago, earning just under a 2.5. This low GPA was due to a combination of being unprepared (bad study skills) and to a lesser extent, long-term illness. I am now a (non-traditional) Junior standing student; I have since aced a couple semesters and look forward to continuing this trend.

My college gives us the option to file for academic bankruptcy for one semester as long as we do it before graduation. Filing for bankruptcy replaces my grades for the chosen semester with "W"s and results in the recalculation of my GPA. My transcript would notate that I filed for academic bankruptcy.

The Good:
a) Assuming my upward trend continues, I have the potential to earn a GPA closer to the 3.8+ range versus the 3.6x+ range I'd have if I didn't file for bankruptcy.
b) The bad first semester GPA has also been haunting me for some time now and I feel this would give me a chance to redeem myself.

The Bad:
a) Wall of "W"s to explain as a result of the filing. I also have a single "W" in my sophomore year.
b) Notation of academic bankruptcy (not sure if this would be a bad thing to have)

Neutral: (I wouldn't mind staying in college for one more sem)
Filing for bankruptcy requires me to forfeit a whole sem worth of college credits and also prolongs my graduation by one semester (I'd have to retake major requirements).

Would filing for bankruptcy be worth considering?
read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Better than financial bankruptcy.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s one semester from 6 years ago...you’ve got a solid GPA even with those grades.

It’s not even worth worrying about