Academic Dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeypot24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a P1 student and I am facing academic dismissal. My GPA fell below a 2.5 (2.445 and 2.474) both semesters, which qualifies me for academic dismissal. I have been dealing with a personal family issue for the past year which affected my ability to focus on school, but that seems to be turning around. I have no D's or F's.

I am going to appeal the decision, and I'm wondering if anyone has been through a situation like this or has any advice. Do I have a chance for reinstatement? I really want to do pharmacy and I feel awful about this.

Members don't see this ad.

No personal experience, but there were certainly several people at my school who had to repeat a year or be on academic probation (and several others who did flunk out and wisely let it go, as pharmacy was not for them.) Your chances of appealing will depend on what school you are at, But considering that you have no D's or F's, a family situation (which I assume has been rectified, if not, you will have a hard time convicing the school to give you another chance), plus you are a 1st year which always carries an adjustment, I would hope the school would be sympathetic to your case.

But consider carefully if pharmacy school is right for you. It only gets harder after first year, if your appeal is granted, you are taking the risk of additional debt and no degree (and I knew students at my school that the school let hand on far longer than they should have, because the school was happy to take their money for an additional year or two, and they were never able to graduate.)