Academic ER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

norgeringerike

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but I couldn't find it. I am a msIII, and I'm planning on going into ER. However, I only want to work at an academic institution, and don't mind making less money. I basically have three questions for those of you who know.

1. How competetive are academic ER jobs compared to private/community?

2. Does it matter which residency I go to if I want to work in academics?

3. Do I have to have fellowship training to land an academic position?

Members don't see this ad.

norgeringerike said:
Hey all, sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but I couldn't find it. I am a msIII, and I'm planning on going into ER. However, I only want to work at an academic institution, and don't mind making less money. I basically have three questions for those of you who know.

1. How competetive are academic ER jobs compared to private/community?

2. Does it matter which residency I go to if I want to work in academics?

3. Do I have to have fellowship training to land an academic position?

1. Generally more comnpetitive but dependss on the institution, as do the "special" things that will get you the job. Some institutions will be looking more for good clinical teachers, some will be looking for research folk, some will want administrators or fellowship trained people that bring something special to the table.

2. Sort of. You can go just about anywhere from a 1-4 or 2-4 program sometimes even without a fellowship. It is well known that most 1-4/2-4 programs do not want to take a graduating PGY-3 from a 1-3 program on as faculty since they will have the same amount of experience as a PGY-4 at their program (Although IMHO this is arguable). If you aren't devoted to teaching at a 1-4/2-4 then you can certainly do a 1-3 as most 1-3 programs are happy to hire their own as faculty. 1-3 programs make up ~75% of residencies and the relative % is increasing as new programs open (which are almost universally 1-3).

3. Maybe. When I interviewed at UVA they said flat out that they would not take someone on faculty straight from residency, they needed a fellowship or to be double boarded. Other places are happy to take a PGY-3 on. So it dependss on where you go. I fell confident saying that a fellowship will almost always make you more competitive anywhere though.

Hope this helps.

C

Ditto to CGY's post. However, 1-3 programs can be looked at favorably if they come from a well-known academic institution. It is really just like residency application, where academic letters of recommendation and networking among academic faculty will speak miles for your ability. Also, being a chief resident during your 3rd or 4th year of residency will look better than simply finishing the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I forgot - be sure to publish an article or two in residency...

I'm looking into academic EM, but in my hometown they only have a DO residency program. Is it allowed for MD's to be part of a DO program (as an attending, I mean)? It might be an ignorant question, but I don't know how the politics play out. Thanks.

MD's cannot apply to DO programs in Emergency Medicine, but DO's can apply to MD programs...

Wow, Quick reply. Thanks. You responded before I could clarify. I plan on doing an MD residency, but how about being an attending in a DO program?

I am not sure about your local program and I am a long way away from being in a position to speak from experience but the chair of the OB/Gyn department at COMP (an Osteopathic School in California) is an MD . . . see this link http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/comp/faculty-clin.xml

I know of at least one MD on faculty in my home DO program.

Plenty of MD's at DO programs. My main site has one that's a graduate of the local MD residency program as the assistant PD, also several others, but their attendings are all part of a contract group.

Thanks for the info! It's nice to know that MD/DO politics won't get in the way if I want to pursue an academic career back home.