Academic IR question from an MD/PhD student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jdm418

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious about what types of academic careers are actually possible in IR. I'm a well-performing MD/PhD student at a highly regarded clinical/research institution. I love science (duh) but also enjoy procedures on the clinical side. As of right now I'd like to work closely with scientists/industry or have a lab of my own. I also think I'd like to teach. I'm not necessarily looking for 80/20 research:clinical, and think that's probably impossible in IR anyway. I'm aware that call during IR training/certain IR careers can really suck. I just want to know what would be possible for me after all the training, as far as career opportunities and lifestyle go. Do IR's at major academic institutions get a decent amount of research days? Is their scope of practice generally restricted?

Reading through this forum has been incredibly informative and I appreciate the time you all take to answer trainee questions. All input in this thread would be equally appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible to do anything. I am looking at my institution's IR staff schedule right now. One person is a PhD, R01 funded, h-index over 200, and 10% clinical. Another is not a PhD but is K08 funded and doing about 20% clinical. Two others have PhDs and I don't know what grants but are about 40% or 60% clinical. The rest don't have NIH grants and are 80% clinical (less if they have a major administrative position like program director, division chief). Everyone gets about 20% academic time (a little less once you count the call). You should seek out mentors who have a career profile you seek.

For someone with an academic pedigree, you'll want to stay at one of the top 20 institutions, where there is funding, research infrastructure, space, mentors, and reputation.

Last edited:
It's possible to do anything. I am looking at my institution's IR staff schedule right now. One person is a PhD, R01 funded, h-index over 200, and 10% clinical. Another is not a PhD but is K08 funded and doing about 20% clinical. Two others have PhDs and I don't know what grants but are about 40% or 60% clinical. The rest don't have NIH grants and are 80% clinical (less if they have a major administrative position like program director, division chief). Everyone gets about 20% academic time (a little less once you count the call). You should seek out mentors who have a career profile you seek.

For someone with an academic pedigree, you'll want to stay at one of the top 20 institutions, where there is funding, research infrastructure, space, mentors, and reputation.

Really encouraging to hear, thanks for the response! Will follow your advice.