ACADEMIC MEDICINE: DO vs MD (reapp)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davematthews

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone I come across in the real world, ie, doctors, residents, and med students say doesn't matter which one you are, just how good you are at what you do. I am fine going DO (I like the philosphy a lot), and know that I will get a good residency and fellowship no matter. I am not really concerned about any discrimination, because being in the Midwest and volunteering/working for years at hospitals here I really have yet to see any significant bias- except professors.
I want academic medicine, probably at an MD school because I want to raise a fam in a city environment, ie Chicago, Boston. Does anyone have info on professorship and being a DO at an allopathic university. I dont want it for the research, I want to be teaching classes and be involved in curriculum development.
Also, this question is hard to answer because in 10-15 years when I am ready to begin my career, many things will have changed by then, and many old school docs will have retired- so that even though DO representation maybe low in MD education at hospitals now, it certainly could change drastically. Any thoughts? Anyone have direct experience or can direct me to the right people?

I am a reapplicant so waiting another year may play into this.
peace
 
At te present time I do not have an answer to your question. Bu t I am glad there is someone out there who has the same wants that I do. I am getting ready to start my DO program in the fall and I want to do academic medicine
 
Status
Not open for further replies.