Academic planning without counselor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jellybean926

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a first year undergrad, and my school doesn't really have the resources/infrastructure for pre-vet students, it's mostly pre-med, pharm, and nursing. Academic counselor hasn't been much help, she doesn't seem to know any more than what I already found on google. I already have an idea of the vet schools I want to apply to and their prereqs, and I've started planning out my courses to make sure I graduate in four years (I'm a math major so it kinda needs to be planned out). For the most part I know what I need to take and when to take it, but there's some discrepancies between the prereqs and courses offered at my school (eg prereq = lower div biodiversity course, my school only offers upper div biodiversity courses). I want to make sure I'm meeting all the prereqs, and anything my school doesn't offer maybe I can take somewhere else and transfer the units. The last thing I want is to apply thinking I've met everything, and get rejected because of a technicality of prereqs.

This long story all to ask: How can I find out for sure what I need to do to meet the prereqs? Should I try to contact pre-vet counselors or peer advisers from the schools I want to apply to vet school? Would they be willing to help me even though I don't go there? Is there anything else I can do?

I know this is a lot of questions lol, thanks!