academic probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking this for a friend of mine. She was placed on academic probation after her freshman year, had a 1.9 GPA. But, she retook the 2 classes she failed, and brought her GPA up to a 3.6. She'll be doing research this summer that comes with a publication and a presentation in may. But she is very worried if this academic probation will hinder her chances? She hasn't taken the MCAT yet, so no grades from that. I was just wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation, and what happened.

Members don't see this ad.

musiclink213 said:
I'm asking this for a friend of mine. She was placed on academic probation after her freshman year, had a 1.9 GPA. But, she retook the 2 classes she failed, and brought her GPA up to a 3.6. She'll be doing research this summer that comes with a publication and a presentation in may. But she is very worried if this academic probation will hinder her chances? She hasn't taken the MCAT yet, so no grades from that. I was just wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation, and what happened.

I was on AP during my freshman year. I only was able to raise my GPA to a 3.3 after retakes but i still had no problems getting in afterwards (although I got an MPH first). Her GPA will probably be a tad bit lower after AMCAS averages her grades, but as long as she does well on her MCAT she shouldnt have a problem. There is a section on the AMCAS to explain your AP too. She should prepare a good statement.

What year is she? Academic probation in freshman year is about as common as it gets for students. As long as she hasn't gotten into trouble since then and has been doing well (a 3.6 is great), she'll be fine. For interviewing's sake... tell her she must know why it happened and what she learned from it. Wish her good luck. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell her to relax and ace the MCAT. Her GPA is perfect showing strong upward trend. People have gained entrance with transcripts reflecting far worse immaturity and have overcome. Tell her to go to the bar and celebrate her future instead of scorning the past. She's in great shape!!

Tooth

exmike said:
Her GPA will probably be a tad bit lower after AMCAS averages her grades, but as long as she does well on her MCAT she shouldnt have a problem. There is a section on the AMCAS to explain your AP too. She should prepare a good statement.

I forgot about that whole average thing. By that time, she will have accumulated enough grades so that the damage will be minimal. Still no worries here, but thanks for reminding me, mikey.. :)

TiggidyTooth said:
Tell her to go to the bar and celebrate her future instead of scorning the past. She's in great shape!!

Tooth

Just tell her to avoid being picked up by the police and getting a record for it. ;) It'll save her heartache and worries in the future.

Wow, a 1.9 to a 3.6? That's awesome! I think adcoms love to see that kind of improvement.

It's not like all of us are angelic or anything. :)

Blade28 said:
Wow, a 1.9 to a 3.6? That's awesome! I think adcoms love to see that kind of improvement.

It's not like all of us are angelic or anything. :)
well, that's after retaking her 2 failed classes. in my school, you can retake up to 2 classes and it will replace the original grade, so they don't show up on the university transcript.

TiggidyTooth said:
Tell her to relax and ace the MCAT. Her GPA is perfect showing strong upward trend. People have gained entrance with transcripts reflecting far worse immaturity and have overcome. Tell her to go to the bar and celebrate her future instead of scorning the past. She's in great shape!!

Tooth

that's what got her on the AP in the first place. too much partying and forgetting about classes, tests, etc. so i don't think that would be too smart.

musiclink213 said:
well, that's after retaking her 2 failed classes. in my school, you can retake up to 2 classes and it will replace the original grade, so they don't show up on the university transcript.

Really? Not even on the official transcript? It's like the earlier attempts magically disappear?

Wow, wish we had had that. :(

Blade28 said:
Really? Not even on the official transcript? It's like the earlier attempts magically disappear?

Wow, wish we had had that. :(

well the person will have to report it on AMCAS anyway so their "real" gpa will show up on the primary application. so no real advantage gained really...but still...nice to look at a transcript and go...hey i have good grades! :D

musiclink213 said:

Even if they are replaced on ur school transcript, they will be averaged in ur amcas gpa.