academic probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bump

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If i was on academic probation for two different undergrad universities for two different semesters that i attended back in 2000 in New York City, do i need to report that information on my amcas application? I really do not want to because I dont know if that will frowned upon by the med schools or affect my gpa. I never transfered my transcripts to my current university and I am about to graduate with my bachelors and applying in June to medical school. I basically had to drop out in the middle of both universites in the same year and I have no idea if I they gave me F's or not because I never checked my transcripts. The schools were in New York.
Yes you have to tell them. Otherwise you will be beyond ****ed when it comes up during the checks they do. Suck it up, do it and just show them that you learned from the experience. I wish you the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, to clarify, you have to not only tell them, but send them transcripts from those schools so that they can use those courses in calculating your AMCAS GPA. <== I know this is a bummer and may hurt you, but try to address it in your PS.

If i was on academic probation for two different undergrad universities for two different semesters that i attended back in 2000 in New York City, do i need to report that information on my amcas application? I really do not want to because I dont know if that will frowned upon by the med schools or affect my gpa. I never transfered my transcripts to my current university and I am about to graduate with my bachelors and applying in June to medical school. I basically had to drop out in the middle of both universites in the same year and I have no idea if I they gave me F's or not because I never checked my transcripts. The schools were in New York.

Unfortunately, you are required to not only report all post-secondary courses and grades you have recieved from any university/community college, but you have to report any disciplinary action. This includes colleges you have dropped out of, regardelss of if your current institution has their transcripts or not.

Be honest, and make sure you have a reason for what happened. Be prepared to explain it and how you have developed and matured from it. People overcome these things, but only when they are honest. Good luck.

You have to send transcripts from every school that you attended post-secondary school. Your academic probation and subsequent hiatus will be on those transcripts. If you don't address this, your application is "toast" as soon as it is read.

Whether you transferred transcripts or not, you have to submit transcripts when you submit your application to medical school. To not submit a transcript can cause your entire medical degree to become invalidate. (This happened to a medical student who had graduated as he didn't submit some community college transcript where he failed a few courses -it was tracked and his school rescinded his degree right after he started internship). Don't fool around with this because in these days of excellent electronic tracking, we find these "omissions" much faster and you can be dismissed from medical school should you get in in the first place.

Be honest about your past problems. There is nothing negative about overcoming a poor past performance. There is a huge amount of negativity about dishonesty.

AMCAS is one of the ultimate transcript-tracking places. They have caught people before the application had been sent to us.

Just to reiterate what the above posters said, you have to submit all transcripts of postsecondary classes. I know this for a fact because I didn't think I needed to submit a transcript from a community college where I attended ONE P/F athletic class, and my AMCAS application was held up for a month because of it. :( I didn't use this class for credit at my university but AMCAS was still able to track it down.

To not submit a transcript can cause your entire medical degree to become invalidate. (This happened to a medical student who had graduated as he didn't submit some community college transcript where he failed a few courses -it was tracked and his school rescinded his degree right after he started internship).

Are you kidding? That's insane. Where did you hear about this? I'm not sure if I believe it.

Just to reiterate what the above posters said, you have to submit all transcripts of postsecondary classes. I know this for a fact because I didn't think I needed to submit a transcript from a community college where I attended ONE P/F athletic class, and my AMCAS application was held up for a month because of it. :( I didn't use this class for credit at my university but AMCAS was still able to track it down.

Did you include it on your AMCAS class sheet?

No, I didn't include it in my AMCAS sheet - it was a 0.5 unit P/F athletic class taken for fun...