Academic Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RS6

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out which ENT residency programs are the most academic. Can anyone shed some light on this topic. And I am aware of US News and World Report's rankings. But I feel that these have very little to do with ranking residencies. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When you mean "most academic," are you talking about research? Are you talking about which programs are the best at preparing residents for academic medicine?

The USNRW rankings are largely based on reputation and on research $$$. The programs at the top of the list are highly research oriented. But you are right in figuring out that the rankings do not necessarily correlate with how well the programs prepare their residents for "the real world."

I have very little interest in doing private practice ENT. So I would rather not go to a program that gears you up for this. Therefore, I wanted to know which programs prepared you more for academic medicine...whether this be doing more research, performing more complex cases, or preparing you for a fellowship. This kind of stuff is hard to tweeze out from just the USNWR rankings. Conversely, are there any "good" programs that prepare you strickly for private practice with little to no/weak research.

Also, does anyone know the programs that offer a 2 year NIH funded research built into their residency? I know that Hopkins, Seattle, UNC, and Michigan all accept residents for this but I wanted a complete list. I checked Freida but they don't have info on all programs. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
RS6 said:
I have very little interest in doing private practice ENT. So I would rather not go to a program that gears you up for this. Therefore, I wanted to know which programs prepared you more for academic medicine...whether this be doing more research, performing more complex cases, or preparing you for a fellowship. This kind of stuff is hard to tweeze out from just the USNWR rankings. Conversely, are there any "good" programs that prepare you strickly for private practice with little to no/weak research.

I believe all ENT programs have a built in block of at least 4-6 months of research (My program does 4 months). Larger depts and those with lots of PhD faculty members will probably have more research opportunities and options. I don't think there is a huge variety among programs in complexity of cases. Also, you might end up doing more complex cases as a resident at a smaller program because those cases are done by fellows at big, heavily academic places. I think any US program will prepare you more than adequately for academics if that is your desire. Other than facial plastics, my impression is that most fellowships are not that competitive.

RS6 said:
Also, does anyone know the programs that offer a 2 year NIH funded research built into their residency? I know that Hopkins, Seattle, UNC, and Michigan all accept residents for this but I wanted a complete list. I checked Freida but they don't have info on all programs. Thanks.

The programs I remember having 7-year slots are MEEI, Seattle, WashU, Iowa, UNC, Indiana, Hopkins, Oregon (may be a couple more, but not many). Michigan does not have a 7-year slot (or at least didn't last year). There are also a few places that are 6-year programs with a built in year of research- I can remember Cleveland Clinic, UCSD, Seattle. There are probably some others as well. When the ENT match was still run by SFMatch, there was a nice list of all the programs and how many years they last. Maybe there is an equivalent list on the ERAS or NRMP websites.

I agree that most oto programs will prepare you for academics, but the "most academic" places would be the ones that have NIH funded research tracks. I obviously have no experience at other programs, but Iowa will definitely prepare you for academics. We average 1-2 residents a year going into academics or fellowships.

TheThroat said:
I agree that most oto programs will prepare you for academics, but the "most academic" places would be the ones that have NIH funded research tracks. I obviously have no experience at other programs, but Iowa will definitely prepare you for academics. We average 1-2 residents a year going into academics or fellowships.

Hello
I am a new regular to this site and am finding a lot of the topics helpful( well i can find issues related to most of my problems - lets hope I find some solutions :) )
I wanted to know whether purely academic programs / fellowships are also available , and if so are they available to foreign graduates

are there any research prgrams which can be gotten into based on GRE scores

such research must be more commonly associated with Oto or HN setups

could anyone tell me if it is possible

tshantanu said:
Hello
I am a new regular to this site and am finding a lot of the topics helpful( well i can find issues related to most of my problems - lets hope I find some solutions :) )
I wanted to know whether purely academic programs / fellowships are also available , and if so are they available to foreign graduates

are there any research prgrams which can be gotten into based on GRE scores

such research must be more commonly associated with Oto or HN setups

could anyone tell me if it is possible

I am not sure what you are asking, but residencies and fellowships in the US are open to foreign grads, but it can be exceedingly difficult, especially for residency positions. Fellowships, especially research fellowships, are easier to get into to.

The problem is that they may be nonfunded (you are paying for everything on your own) and they are limited to research, not clinical training.

For example, we had a guy from France who did some otology research and shadowed some of our surgeons for about 4 months last year and we have a guy from Egypt who is doing sinus research for about 4-6 mos this year.