Academic Support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

norris

nomo
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which podiatry schools offer the best academic support. Out of the 8 schools, whic0h have the smallest classrooms, best tutoring (free or do you have to pay), and the lowest/highest failure rate. Please mention NYCPM as well. No one seems to talk about this school. I am from new york. Is it that bad? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What to watch out for in my opinion:

1. A big No-no in my opinion...
Open academic support on a first-come/first-serve basis.
Academic support in my opinion should NOT be for the "A" and "B" students.
Academic support is a limited resource and should be reserved for those students who are at risk or who are failing their class(es).
Back when adults were adults, the A and B student/adult would recognize that they did not need tutoring as much as the man or woman who were failing.... and leave that resource for those in need.
unfortunately, times have changed...
I mean, what's the difference between a rich person taking welfare and "A"-"B" students devouring scarce tutors?

2. Who are the tutors? If they are simply students who took the class in a previous year.... Sigh.... one class doesn't make anyone an "expert...." really... nor does it mean you can teach. but there are exceptions....

3. how available are the professors.... DO NOT underestimate this one.
I mean, if the dear Dr. has 2-3 other jobs, when are they going to help you???

This is by far the best way to receive help in my opinion. The professor CAN explain the material in a way that is congruent and fluid with his or her lectures. unfortunately, if they are never around and very busy, you'll end up having to rely on somoeone who had the class last year....... If the A-B studs didn't snatch them all up.....

In my opinion, it's nice to see prospective students thinking and asking the right questions so that they will get the most out of their podiatry training.

Good-luck and keep your Basic Science (BS) meter on high....

whiskers said:
What to watch out for in my opinion:

1. A big No-no in my opinion...
Open academic support on a first-come/first-serve basis.
Academic support in my opinion should NOT be for the "A" and "B" students.
Academic support is a limited resource and should be reserved for those students who are at risk or who are failing their class(es).
Back when adults were adults, the A and B student/adult would recognize that they did not need tutoring as much as the man or woman who were failing.... and leave that resource for those in need.
unfortunately, times have changed...
I mean, what's the difference between a rich person taking welfare and "A"-"B" students devouring scarce tutors?

2. Who are the tutors? If they are simply students who took the class in a previous year.... Sigh.... one class doesn't make anyone an "expert...." really... nor does it mean you can teach. but there are exceptions....

3. how available are the professors.... DO NOT underestimate this one.
I mean, if the dear Dr. has 2-3 other jobs, when are they going to help you???

This is by far the best way to receive help in my opinion. The professor CAN explain the material in a way that is congruent and fluid with his or her lectures. unfortunately, if they are never around and very busy, you'll end up having to rely on somoeone who had the class last year....... If the A-B studs didn't snatch them all up.....

In my opinion, it's nice to see prospective students thinking and asking the right questions so that they will get the most out of their podiatry training.

Good-luck and keep your Basic Science (BS) meter on high....

Okay whiskers, I can respect your opinion on who should, and shouldn't get tutoring although I don't agree with u. I am a good student (3.3 undergrad) and I like to use all of my available resources. Anyway, I am not looking for a debate. Do you have any information on class sizes, pass/failure rates, and info on nycpm. I am from n.y. and no one talks about this school. Thank you for responding whiskers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think almost everyone will agree with me that you should not listen to Whisker's advice....he has proven to know near nothing. I only know class size for the 3 schools where I applied and interviewed. AZPOD, Oakland, Scholl all have some classes that are larger (100) and some that are VERY small (10-15). At Oakland, some of the classes are mixed with PA students. At AZPOD and Scholl, some classes are mixed with DO/MD students and are thus larger - these are the core science classes, like biochem, physiology/anatomy, etc.. I think the classes that special to pod students are typically pretty small. From my interview experience, it appears that from those three schools, Scholl had the largest class sizes on average. This was not appealing to me, but may be to others.

Again, just based on where I interviewed, they all claimed to offer (and students verified so) open door policies for professors - meaning that the instructors were very open to offering extra help to students in need. It also appeared that all 3 schools offered some free tutoring and then plenty of options for hired tutors. In my experience, the good students often get where they are by receiving tutoring...and I believe (as I think all students, besides Whiskers, would too) that anyone who is resourceful enough to get tutoring, and cares enough about their education to do so, is entitled to do so. If you have to pay for tutoring - I think it is still worth it...even if its coming out of your student loans. Im sorry I dont know more specificly about NY's pod school, but I imagine it is similar in some aspects to the other pod schools.

norris said:
Which podiatry schools offer the best academic support. Out of the 8 schools, whic0h have the smallest classrooms, best tutoring (free or do you have to pay), and the lowest/highest failure rate. Please mention NYCPM as well. No one seems to talk about this school. I am from new york. Is it that bad? Thanks

norris said:

I am a 3rd year student at NYCPM (as the signature line says). I feel that I am getting a top rate education at NYCPM. I can say that I have met lots of people from the other schools and talked about their cirriculums and clinics and it is all comparable. I can tell you what are the advantages to going to NYCPM and if you want to know more PM me.

1. it is in NYC!!!!
2. the clinic is downstairs and there are work study positions so you can start in the clinic from year 1. Also you can shadow the 3rd and 4th years in the clinic whenever you get a chance. The clinic is busy enough that there are not students fighting for patients and there is usually one student per patient taking a history and treating the patient. The clinic has computerized charts (in some parts), digital X-ray, DART-fish technology for gait and F-scan for gait labs. All students make their own orthotics at Langer labs in the 3rd year and tour thru eneslow the shoe modification and pedorthics shop. and visit a prosthetics lab. We have an OR in the clinic that is used for minor procedures such as soft tissue removal and hammer toes with local anesthesia, other opertations are done at metropolitan hospital where the students rotate thru for all the clinic rotations as well as Lincoln and Harlem hospitals.
3. As long as you study and do well in classes you should have no problem passing the boards.
4. we have a plus minus system in grading and no curves
5. We have tutors that are the upper classmen. The actual program says that you need to be failing to have a student tutor you for workstudy money however there are usually nice students around that are willing to help for little or no money. The upperclassmen always pass down tips to the 1st years.
6. The professors are mostly full time and can meet and answer questions in person or by email. Most students do not utilize this enough (my philosophy - it is your education and only you can make it the best, you must seek the help you need if you want to understand and learn)
7. the research department is finally getting active and we are starting some projects and others are in progress.
8. notetaking is a workstudy job and for the necessary classes a notepacket is handed out before the exam (it is not always perfect as it is done by fellow students)
9. all the classes are video taped for private viewing in the library
10. most powerpoints are on the intranet - to see the pictures and watch videos
11. Anatomy lab - 4-5 students/body then for lower extremity 2-3 people per leg.

I think that is all for now. I hope this helps you make a more informed decision. You should visit the NY school, take a tour visit the clinic. You can do this any day of the week but I recommend wed night 4-6pm since it is busy and there are lots of kids in peds clinic (clinic is from 2-8pm but busiest 4-6)
Surgery clinic is busiest fridays from 9pm-noon. Call 212-410-8100 and ask to speak with Carlene Colston to arrange a tour.

And PM me if you'd like with more questions.