Academic vs Community Residency Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IronyMan

Wrinkled clothes beware!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So using a system involving a Ouija board and an amorous donkey, I have settled on my rank list which has a smattering of both academic and community psychiatry programs.

However, I keep wondering if I missed something in my consideration of the type of program I should attend. I feel academic programs generally are larger, don't hurt for funding, and leave more options for any type of future career. Community programs seem more intimate and personal with the same kind of training that may be less demanding.

I was wondering if you all can think of pluses and minuses to either type of program or how you made your decisions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

So using a system involving a Ouija board and an amorous donkey, I have settled on my rank list which has a smattering of both academic and community psychiatry programs.

However, I keep wondering if I missed something in my consideration of the type of program I should attend. I feel academic programs generally are larger, don't hurt for funding, and leave more options for any type of future career. Community programs seem more intimate and personal with the same kind of training that may be less demanding.

I was wondering if you all can think of pluses and minuses to either type of program or how you made your decisions.

It is far easier to go from training in an academic institution to working in a community setting then going from a community residency to working in an academic institution. Since I was on the fence when applying, I wanted to keep all my options open. I'm glad I did!