academically dismissed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justin_od

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was academically dismissed from graduate school and am now applying to med school......should i mention that i was dismissed cuz i think that will really hurt my chances.........what are the chances that the admissions committees would dig up my records and see that i have lied if i did not mention that i went to grad school.....btw, i went to the same undergrad as grad

Members don't see this ad.

Being academically dismissed will undoubtly hurt you. It will be a very difficult fact to "keep secret" from any medical school admission committee. IMHO I think that the best thing you can do is come up with a VERY good reason for why it happened and explain it very carefully in your essay. You need to rememeber that there are MANY more qualified applicants to medical school every year than will recieve letters of acceptance. If there are any questions that arise on your ability to navigate the medical school curriculum academically, I doubt that any medical school would think twice about choosing another applicant to fill that spot. Also flat out lying about your academic record could quite possibly be the nail in the coffin. If you chose to lie and got caught there is nothing to say that it might not come back to haunt you with either other schools or in the future. Personally I feel that it would be best not to risk it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Advice is a dangerous thing to give, yet that's what we're all about on here. However, I'll take my shot at giving a bit....

As the previous poster noted, lying will seal your fate against you. Lying on any applications anywhere, whether job, scholarship, or college, can seriously hamper your credibility in the future. Hey, we make mistakes. It sucks, but we have to deal with it. It'll be a sweeter pill going down if you're at least honest about it.

My advice is that if you're still serious about medical school, I'd go back to graduate school and try to make that bit up. It's not impossible to get into medical school after an academic probation/dismissal, but it *really* helps to do something to show that you've learned from that mistake and have made up for it. Toss in the usual rigmarole about extra curriculars, volunteer experience and yadda yadda, but be sure to have a stellar graduate term next time around.

Best of luck in everything.

I went to the same university for undergraduate and graduate work. At my school the transcripts cannot be separated. Even though there are separate transcripts for undergraduate and graduate work, if you want send one transcript, they send them both. Check with your admissions and records department to see if it is even possible to not show your presence (and academic dismissal) on the transcripts that you must send to AAMC or the school to which you are applying.