Acc. Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChuckDAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am applying to this upcoming cycle with a 3.49 cGPA and 3.39 sGPA. My DAT is a 19 AA 20GC 21OC 20Bio 19PAT. I will be applying on June the fourth to an abundance of schools and simply think that my stats could be too "average." I have made legit 88-89 on every major pre-reqs "o-chem, biochem,...etc" and it is simply killing me. Here is my problem: I just graduated yesterday from undergrad, so my application process will consists of a gap year. I have a dental assisting job and I will be working on a publication from my research in undergrad. I dont know if I should do a post-bacc or a one-year masters program?

Any suggestions or comments is greatly appreciated. If anyone know of a great one-year master program please let me know. I was offered a graduate assisting job at my undergrad. which would pay for masters, but I dont know if I should take the offer or work at an office and make money (praying I can get some interviews).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd do a year of postbac if I were you actually.

Research your classes well and make sure you get 3.7 in about 30 cred worth of it. I think you'll be okay. Try to squeeze in some research work in there as well and possibly a publication. Do more shadowing/assisting hours. Not always fun to do a 1 year masters. I would know. It hella aged me LOL.

Hey all,

I am applying to this upcoming cycle with a 3.49 cGPA and 3.39 sGPA. My DAT is a 19 AA 20GC 21OC 20Bio 19PAT. I will be applying on June the fourth to an abundance of schools and simply think that my stats could be too "average." I have made legit 88-89 on every major pre-reqs "o-chem, biochem,...etc" and it is simply killing me. Here is my problem: I just graduated yesterday from undergrad, so my application process will consists of a gap year. I have a dental assisting job and I will be working on a publication from my research in undergrad. I dont know if I should do a post-bacc or a one-year masters program?

Any suggestions or comments is greatly appreciated. If anyone know of a great one-year master program please let me know. I was offered a graduate assisting job at my undergrad. which would pay for masters, but I dont know if I should take the offer or work at an office and make money (praying I can get some interviews).

Thanks

If you are offered a job that also pays for your master, thats a great deal! I don't know if you necessarily need a masters to "boost" your stats (they're not terrible). My biggest reason against a masters is the cost, especially if your GPA is above a 3.3. But if its free, heck take it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply this year while working as an assistant and take post bac upper level Bio classes. Dont kill yourself with the masters if you don't need it. If you don't get in this year, then do the masters.

I did just find out that I made an A in Biochemistry :). I appreciate all of the above comments. I have a rediculous amount of EC's and I am trully hoping for an interview (especially at my state school), because I have always enjoyed conversing with people. I hope that my stats can get me that at a couple of school if I get my application in early.

...ehh ur like RIGHT on the line..ur gpa is ok (not bad, not good, its acceptable) , same story with dat, nothing alarming... Idk I were u I would apply this cycle.

I agree, I think u have chances if landing an interview if u apply early like u said

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk