Accelerated (BA/MD) Medical Programs

Strivetosucceed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
What do you guys think of the 6, 7 or 8 yr. accelerated BA/MD programs? Is that a good way to go or is just traditional 4 yr. undergrad and then, medical school better?
Are any of you planning to go into that kind of a program or are you already in that program?-- i know there are more than high schoolers who come to this forum!!
If your answer is yes to the above question, what are you currently doing, or what did you do to get into the program (what classes to take, GPA, extracurricular activities, SAT...)?

Thank you so much! (in advance!:))

Members don't see this ad.

Those who got in and they still want to become doctor = Lucky bastards

Those who got in but found themselves they don't wanna become a doctor anymore = Poor guys.

So yeah, if you are really wanna become a doctor and 200% sure, go in.

lol I just asked a similar question...

I would also like to know what kind of classes to take/grades you need and maybe a list of these schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of programs Penn State/ Jefferson Med 6 or 7 years, ideal is 3.8+ 2200+SAT; Siena/ Albany Med; Howard University; Drexel. I'm in the 8 Year B.S./D.O. at NSU-COM 80 UW GPA at a high powered prep school, weighted of 4.85ish. 1340 out of 1600, shadowing experience in ophthalmology and hours of community service. Most programs want a 1300+ SAT, a 92+ GPA and experience in medicine. In addition the person should be articulate and able to write a top notch secondary app should they get that far.

I got the impression that typically if you can get into an average combined BS/MD program, then you can get into a much much better undergraduate school..take my advice and go to the better school. You will be better off if you decide not to go into medicine and you also have a chance to go to a better med school if you do decide that medicine is for you...my 2 cents.

I'm also going haywire about these programs. I should spend my time wisely and boost my SAT scores, more ECs, studying, etc, but I spend my time looking these schools up and see what they require. This should be enough motivation to work, ughh I need to start focusinggg. :scared:

if you want to be a doctor and go into medicine and you've talked to people or read enough of these forums to know what a career in medicine entails and you still want to do it

then by all means programs are your best bet

programs put you on a direct path to your career choice and if as a high school student you are sure you want to be a doctor, i'd go to a program over anything else

it just makes it much easier and avoids a lot of stress for both you and your parents

I believe you can have a pretty good time whether you go to your top choice undergrad or a program, but one sets you up for the future better than the other

I would recommend going through college in the "normal" way if at all possible. Applying to med school sucks, but putting blinders on through the best years of your life sucks far worse.

I'm currently in a 6 year medical program at a major university.

I'm in my 2nd college year (my last), and hopefully I will be attending med school in the fall if I pass the MCAT (fingers crossed!).

wagy27's post is pretty informative in the pros/cons. But if you have any specific questions I'll be happy to respond.

To save you the search here are the only six-year allopathic schools in the US:
Howard University and some Medical School
UMKC
Penn State-Jefferson PMM
NEOUCOM
Tulane and its affiliated medical school (affective this year so that's you)