Accelerated BS/MD Programs

KDezfoli96

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, im a Junior in Thomas S. Wootton High School (ranked #18 in the nation) and am wondering what, in reality, are my chances at accelerated BA/MD or BS/MD programs?

I have a 3.62 Cumulative GPA and a 4.05 Weighted GPA -- i know, theyre kinda on the lower side, not very competitive.
I have taken the SAT twice, both times receiving a 1990, but my best scores combined would amount to a 2070. I have a 1400 for CR+M
i took the ACT once, and received a 34
I will have taken 3 AP's by the time i graduate (Psychology, Biology, AB Calculus)
I will be a science intern for 2 periods in my senior year.
However, one thing that is very bad about me is that i do not have much exrtacurricular activities related to science.
I was, however, accepted into the Brandeis Global Youth Summit for the Future of Medicine. However the fee was too expensive and my family could not afford it.

I was thinking about applying to these combined accelerated programs:
Template --> College (Pre-Med) w/ Medical School
Temple University w/ Temple
Duquesne w/ Temple Medical College
Washington & Jefferson College w/ Temple
Drexel University w/ Drexel
Lehigh w/ Drexel University
Rosemont w/ Drexel
Villanova w/ Drexel
Penn State w/ Jefferson
George Washington University
St. Bonaventure w/ GW
Rensselaer w/ Albany
Siena w/ Albany
Union College w/ Albany
SUNY Stony Brook w/ Stony Brook
U of Pitt w/ Pitt
University of Rochester w/ Rochester

So, thats my list. As you can see, im trying to stay on the eastern coast. My counselor also told me that Wilkes College in Florida is also instituting a new program. And since it is new, my chances are much higher apparently. Any thoughts on this? If you have any programs i should add to this list, which i would have a better chance at, please add! I would like to know what my chances are at these programs? please.. be blunt if you have to!

- Also, I realize my scores are not quite competitive. So.. what is the difference between an accelerated program and a guaranteed admission program? If you guys have any ideas as to any guaranteed admission or early admission programs, please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied to my instate BA/MD program in NM. 28 selected I am spot 49 out of 500 applicants, 22 spots off >_<

My word of advice, volunteer at a hospital;ll/clinic, whatever you can find. I had perfect GPA, good ACT's. I had a job, a long list of extracurriculars, sports, rodeos, native Spanish speaker, I was diverse.... everything was perfect for me except my medical experience such as shadowing. That was my ultimate downfall. I wish you good luck.

Also don't stress too much on this. Even if you do not get in, if you are passionate about medicine, not being accepted into any of these should not hold you back for even a little bit.

I don't know a whole lot about those types of programs, but what I do know is they're extremely competitive. Most of them are as competitive to get into as the Ivy League schools. Honestly, I would maybe apply to a few, but I wouldn't bank on getting into one. Definitely apply to some regular colleges as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just apply to all of them and get into the best one. Or just go to a regular school and apply to medical school normally. You have more options doing the second way.

Alright. Thanks. So i shouldnt bank on getting into these programs? I know i need to volunteer more, but is there anything i can do to raise my chances? and does anybody have any specific info about any programs that i should take a look at that i have better chances at?

Yeah, I probably wouldn't bank on getting into one of those programs. For a little bit of reference, I know a girl who applied to a bunch of those, didn't get into any of them, and will be attending Harvard in the fall.

There are a couple of schools where you can apply for guaranteed admission to their med school after your sophomore year or something like that, and you don't need to take the MCAT. I know those are pretty competitive too though, so I wouldn't apply to a school solely based on that.

This summer is a time when you should shadow doctors. Shadowing is much more important than those fancy, expensive programs because you get first hand (uncensored) experience. Your expereinces shadowing will give you many different stories to talk about in your "why medicine" essay, which has to be perfect for these programs.

Your ACT score is better than your SAT. I would send that (unless one section of the ACT is much lower than the others).

Do you have any non medical ECs? Those are just as important as the medical ones, especially for programs like Union/AMC.

I just got out of the BS/MD admissions cycle, so if you have more questions, I would love to help out in your application process.

Thanks a lot for your input. I should seriously start looking at shadowing and internships this summer. I also would like to do some EC's. But i dont know where to start. And no, most of my ACT scores are from 32-36. Averaging a 34.

So i was wondering what schools have the guranteed admissions? i mean, these BS/MD programs are super comepetitive and i dont think my records are good enough. but i think going to a college that provides a guaranteed admission to their medical school is a good option for someone like me, with my scores and records. Any suggestions?

Your SAT is a bit low to be completely honest. Some programs even require a 2100 or so.

Thanks a lot for your input. I should seriously start looking at shadowing and internships this summer. I also would like to do some EC's. But i dont know where to start. And no, most of my ACT scores are from 32-36. Averaging a 34.

So i was wondering what schools have the guranteed admissions? i mean, these BS/MD programs are super comepetitive and i dont think my records are good enough. but i think going to a college that provides a guaranteed admission to their medical school is a good option for someone like me, with my scores and records. Any suggestions?
I know UC Riverside has one for UCLA med school, and Tulane has one as well. Keep in mind that you still have to apply to those programs, and they're still extremely competitive.

yeah, my SAT is low. But my ACT is actually pretty good. Its equivalent to a 2270, since i got a 34 out of 36.

A 34 on the ACT is the equivalent to a 2280 on the SAT.

Wherever you apply, use your ACT score instead of your SAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even with the 34 a ~3.6 Cumulative GPA isn't that competitive for these programs (most of which have acceptance rates at or lower than Harvard). You still have a chance. Apply to all of them and see if any will accept you. Other than that I recommend going to a regular undergraduate program and applying traditionally.

^Yes. you should apply widely, but there is a happy medium. Apply to enough so you have a good chance, but don't apply to SO many that you don't have the time to concentrate and polish killer essays.

Alright guys, thanks a lot! so, from the list i provided, which ones do you think are the "easiest" to get accepted into? ie. best chance for me to be accepted into?

Alright. Thanks. So i shouldnt bank on getting into these programs? I know i need to volunteer more, but is there anything i can do to raise my chances? and does anybody have any specific info about any programs that i should take a look at that i have better chances at?

Also, if you apply and get an interview make sure you know what the objective of their program is. The one I interviewed with had an interest for physicians to STAY in my state, and practice Rural Medicine. Each program has a vision and if you don't play on their side of the vision :thumbdown:

GL!

I only have 150+ volunteer hours and about 35-40 hours of shadowing with absolutely no research experience at all:(. I keep reading about people that have like 400+ hours with 100+ hours of shadowing and research internships that got rejected.

I would personally recommend upping the SAT scores a little bit, to around the 1500 area.

I'm attending the TCNJ 7 year with New Jersey Medical School and I was also accepted to University of Rochester REMS w/ Rochester and a few ivies. I didn't apply too widely to Medical Programs, but I can tell you that they are definitely competitive. If you have any sort of research, it is a HUGE plus.

After my experience, my personal opinion is 1500 SAT, good gpa & rank (for you it may be an exception to have a relatively lower gpa/rank since you go to such a great school), Research, good leadership, doctor shadowing, volunteering is a really really good shot at all of these programs. For URoch, I was shocked when I found out I had gotten in because they select about 10 out of the 800ish who applied (50 are offered interviews). It's a great program that I couldn't attend due to finances.

If you have any questions about this whatsoever, please respond here or private message me. However, I would prefer if you responded here so that others may also benefit.

Okay, that really helped. You pretty much outlined everything i need. What do you mean by research? as in actually do research or what? and how can i get involved in that? also, i will be volunteering, interning, and shadowing this summer and academic year. Ill probably also retake the SAT this summer or october. So thats taken care of (hopefully ill do bettter).

So, anything else im missing? suggestions? schools that i should count on getting into?

Okay, that really helped. You pretty much outlined everything i need. What do you mean by research? as in actually do research or what? and how can i get involved in that? also, i will be volunteering, interning, and shadowing this summer and academic year. Ill probably also retake the SAT this summer or october. So thats taken care of (hopefully ill do bettter).

So, anything else im missing? suggestions? schools that i should count on getting into?

By research he means basically volunteering as a research assistant in a lab. Doing research assistant work usually means you will work on a research project that your principal investigator/boss has decided on. For high school students its quite tough to get one but there are people who do, go as a volunteer, it makes it easier.

There are even competitions i know Intel sponsors one every year where you can make a poster out of your research project and present it to judges. Look up Jack Andraka, he was a high school student who did a research project. He won 100k at the Intel Science Fair in 2012. He discovered a testing strip that gives early detection of prostate cancer. He's a superstar but yeah thats an example. Probably going to Stanford.

By research he means basically volunteering as a research assistant in a lab. Doing research assistant work usually means you will work on a research project that your principal investigator/boss has decided on. For high school students its quite tough to get one but there are people who do, go as a volunteer, it makes it easier.

There are even competitions i know Intel sponsors one every year where you can make a poster out of your research project and present it to judges. Look up Jack Andraka, he was a high school student who did a research project. He won 100k at the Intel Science Fair in 2012. He discovered a testing strip that gives early detection of prostate cancer. He's a superstar but yeah thats an example. Probably going to Stanford.

I actually meant doing your own research, if you can. I was lucky in that I was able to attend the NJ Governor's School in the Sciences, where all the attendants were divided into groups of about 7-8 and each group was able to pursue a project in the topic area they had chosen. By the end, we put together a research paper detailing our research. If you're curious, my team's paper was on the computational modeling of the effect of random synaptic failure on neural networks to simulate neurodegenerative diseases. It was actually extremely interesting, and that sort of interest should stimulate you to do some sort of project.

I know it's not always possible to do your own research, so even volunteering, like the above poster said is also a great idea.

Specifically to the OP: St. Bonaventure is definitely a good bet for you, even with your *relatively* low GPA (of course, I would suggest you try to get straight As for the remainder of your senior year)

Although i do say this. I applied to StBon/GWU, med Brown PLME and,SLU med the only 3 BS/MD programs that accept Canadians

2170 SAT
800 World History
760 Bio-M

400 hours of volunteering in hospitals
200 hours of co-op studentship in hospitals (won co-op leadership award 4 out of 60 students)
International, provincial and regional awards in business competitions (DECA)
lots of club leadership (2 presidents, 1 VP)
Duke of Edinburgh awards etc

93% GPA
88% Bio Gr. 12
97% Chem Gr. 12

Still rejected for all 3 pre-interview. I ended up getting in somewhere else.

do you attribute your rejection to your stats being a bit LESS than competitive amongst other INTERNATIONAL applicants? Some of the stats info suggests that average acceptances, at PLME at least, approaches 2250-2350 ??

Although i do say this. I applied to StBon/GWU, med Brown PLME and,SLU med the only 3 BS/MD programs that accept Canadians

2170 SAT
800 World History
760 Bio-M

200 hours of co-op studentship in hospitals (won co-op leadership award 4 out of 60 students)

93% GPA
88% Bio Gr. 12
97% Chem Gr. 12

that's insane. I knew those were competitive, but dang man..

do you attribute your rejection to your stats being a bit LESS than competitive amongst other INTERNATIONAL applicants? Some of the stats info suggests that average acceptances, at PLME at least, approaches 2250-2350 ??

I had no chance for PLME it was a dream school. PLME cross-admits with Harvard and I had no shot at Harvard. I was surprised by the rest though. I also forgot to add that I applied to Wayne State med program and didn't get an offer there as well (it dragged on for a while though).

Yes indeed..PLME is a tough purchase these days.....one never knows as BROWN notorious for holistic and quirky elite candidates. I have heard of 4.0 Valedictorians with 2360 SATs rejected and 3.3 Cellists accepted early decision.........sounds like symphony sympathy(LOL)

No love for Piano though lol, I had gr. 10 RCM piano.

2170 SAT
800 World History
760 Bio-M

93% GPA
88% Bio Gr. 12
97% Chem Gr. 12

Lol, a 2170 to get into those programs isn't going to cut it. Those BSMD's are some of the top ranked ones. You need at least a 2300+ to be competitive for those. And your GPA looks a little too low...what was your unweighted GPA? And then top your shortcomings with being Canadian, and there's the answer as to why you were rejected.

Yeah......most available info suggests around 2275 as averages for major programs. Probably a sprinkling of lesser stats with mitigating high GP/RANK/AP/SAT2/Research, etc for successful applicants. Plus the Math/Reading quite a bit more important than WRITING score. College of NJ requires 1480 to apply and 1500 plus seems to be the NORM rather than the exception. You need 750 plus on top of that to cut the mustard in that arena.

Does anyone know if the BA/MD programs are less competitive? Or is that the same thing? Sorry for my lack of knowledge....

Lol, a 2170 to get into those programs isn't going to cut it. Those BSMD's are some of the top ranked ones. You need at least a 2300+ to be competitive for those. And your GPA looks a little too low...what was your unweighted GPA? And then top your shortcomings with being Canadian, and there's the answer as to why you were rejected.

No **** sherlock. I'm here to give the OP some advice and an example, not for some high school "young prodigy" to tell me the obvious...

Also SLU and St. Bon/GWU are not "some of the top bs/md" programs in the country.