Accelerated Optometry Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lily12604

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a high school senior (early graduate) hoping to apply to colleges with a joint BS/OD program with SUNY College of Optometry. I was wondering what is the application process to apply to the program. Do I apply to the college with a normal application then submit another application to SUNY College of Optometry? (Here's the website: Joint Degree Program Application – SUNY College of Optometry (sunyopt.edu) )

Members don't see this ad.

Also what are some advice for the "Why Optometry?" essay. I couldn't shadow or intern at a optometrist office (because of covid) so I'm really confused on what to add to my essay...

Also what are some advice for the "Why Optometry?" essay. I couldn't shadow or intern at a optometrist office (because of covid) so I'm really confused on what to add to my essay...
Write about what makes you want to be an optometrist compared to other possible fields. Focus on something significant that you experienced. Personally, having glaucoma and seeing the scarcity of vision care in my native country triggered the reason.