Acceleration & velocity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richardmarco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today's mcat question (here) threw me off big-time. How I felt:

6U1Mr.jpg

Anyone else get thrown off?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah the question is playing on the definition of uniform circular motion: An object moving in a circle of radius r with constant speed v is accelerating.

The velocity, is a vector quantity, is changing (only in its directions). Since direction of velocity is changing, there must be an acceleration (in the direction of the net force--which is towards the center)

I think this is a good question, because in the anxiety of MCAT testing, a lot of people could forget this, so I jut like to stick in a mantra:
Uniform Circulation Motion: There is an acceleration, (expletive)... Seriously, that's what I remember.

Last edited:
I think this is a good question, because in the anxiety of MCAT testing, a lot of people could forget this, so I jut like to stick in a mantra:
Uniform Circulation Motion: There is an acceleration, (expletive)... Seriously, that's what I remember.

Haha, I'll try to remember that! Thanks. :D

No, but only because I've fallen for this trap about a billion times in TBR/NOVA/EK 1001.

Members don't see this ad :)
Always remember that if an object is changing direction during it's motion, it is accelerating.

Velocity is a vector so if you change just the direction of the arrow, you are creating an acceleration or a "change in velocity" regardless of the scalar quanitity.

for that question you just use the equation for rotational acceleration a = (v^2)/r