Accept this away offer or wait for another program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vokey588

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I was recently accepted for an away in my geographic region (several states away). I have 2 weeks to let them know of my decision. My VSAS application is under review at an equally well-regarded program, and I really don't have a preference between the two. The only possible advantage of this second program is it is in a different geographic region.

Should I wait until the deadline of my current offer in case I get an offer from the other program (in a different geographic region), or just accept my current offer and withdraw my applications everywhere else? This would be my second away rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a few weeks to respond you can wait to see if you hear back from the other program before you time runs out. However, don't let this current offer expire if you haven't heard back (also be careful once you reject offers you cannot get them back). Once you have two outstanding offers from institutions that are during the same time you will begin receiving warning emails from VSAS giving you just a few days to decide or else they will contact all instutions involved including your program, so you will only have a limited time to decide if you have both offers. Unless you have preference to your own geographical region, i would recommend trying to do another region (if you are open to that area) to potentially open up other areas. However, if the other offer doesn't come in time make sure to accept it (don't want to end up with nothing). I never heard back from some programs at all only to find out they were full so definitely don't let something you like expire, while waiting on something that may never come. You can try calling the other program to find out the status of the VSAS review application (if they specifically say not to contact them like some did don't do it)