Acceptable Procedure for Declining Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Reaction score
I have two schools I have been accepted to for which I am not putting deposits down because I was accepted to two other schools I would definitely go to instead. I want to let the two schools I am declining know as soon as possible so I can open up a seat for someone who is waitlisted or has yet to interview.

One of the schools made it easy for me; they sent a form with the acceptance letter. You filled out the top half if you were sending a deposit and the bottom half if you were declining.

For the other school, is it more appropriate to call, write an e-mail, or write a snail mail letter?

Members don't see this ad.
I'm going to snail mail mine. I'd say it's appropriate.