Acceptance by GPA and MCAT for DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenzylAcetate

Just Peachy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a similar table for Osteopathic schools? I've looked at the AACOM website data, but there doesn't seem to be anything presented in this same manner; maybe something unofficial exists somewhere?

https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

There are a few existing threads about this. Should be easy to find with the search function :)

There are a few existing threads about this. Should be easy to find with the search function :)

It's very possible my thread finding skills are failing here, but I couldn't find something quite like the AAMC grid for DO schools. There are a lot of threads about individual school acceptance rates and averages, but I'm looking for something more in depth than that.

If you found something in particular I would greatly appreciate it if you could link me to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very possible my thread finding skills are failing here, but I couldn't find something quite like the AAMC grid for DO schools. There are a lot of threads about individual school acceptance rates and averages, but I'm looking for something more in depth than that.

If you found something in particular I would greatly appreciate it if you could link me to it.

I don't think AACOMAS has produced such a detailed grid for DO schools. You can use the following link to have access to a DO equivalent of MSAR. It will provide you with the most recent statistics for DO applicants.
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2012cib/2012cib-whole.pdf

Yeah there isn't a pretty table like that provided by AACOMAS... maybe someone on SDN will take it up as a project.

I don't think AACOMAS has produced such a detailed grid for DO schools. You can use the following link to have access to a DO equivalent of MSAR. It will provide you with the most recent statistics for DO applicants.
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2012cib/2012cib-whole.pdf

Not to necro the thread, but looked through each school's profile and there are almost no % of latinos reporting or attending any D.O. school. This makes me a wee bit nervous for some reason.

Not to necro the thread, but looked through each school's profile and there are almost no % of latinos reporting or attending any D.O. school. This makes me a wee bit nervous for some reason.

What on earth are you talking about? Look again:

13% Hispanic/Latino at NSU-COM (p. 51)
14% Hispanic/Latino at UMDNJ-SOM (p. 73)
etc.

:rolleyes:

What on earth are you talking about? Look again:

13% Hispanic/Latino at NSU-COM (p. 51)
14% Hispanic/Latino at UMDNJ-SOM (p. 73)
etc.

:rolleyes:

They are the exception, not the rule. the average appears to be 2%

They are the exception, not the rule. the average appears to be 2%

So, what about this makes you worry? Are you insinuating there is some kind of prejudice on behalf of the schools?

This is from the first page of the undrerdog thread. I'm not sure who originally did all the research and compiled it..but they're awesome.

School Averages
cGPA | sGPA | MCAT
Italics in the name means region bias.

-A.T. Still University, Kirksville | 3.5 | 3.4 | 27
-A.T. Still University, AZ | 3.5 | 3.41 | 27
-Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine, AL | first year taking students
-Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine | 3.51 | 3.46 | 28
-Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC | first year taking students
-Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine | 3.56 | ? | 28 | (2009 data: 3.53 | 3.45 | 27)
-Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA | 3.68 | 3.63 | 27.3
-Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences | 3.63 | 3.56 | 27
-Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA | 3.44 | 3.31 | 26
-Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL | (2010 data: 3.48 | 3.39 | 27)
-Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN | 3.29 | 3.18 | 24.62
-Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IN | first year taking students
-Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MI | 3.6 | ?.?? | 26
-New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of NYIT, NY | 3.6 | ?.?? | 28
-Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL | 3.41 | 3.31 | 27
-Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, OH | 3.66 | ?.?? | 27
-Oklahoma State University OK | 3.64 | 3.58 | 26
-Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences WA | 3.44 | 3.36 | 26.39
-Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA | 3.45 | 3.38 | 27
-Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, GA |
-University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY | 3.5 | 3.4 | 24
-Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO | 3.42 | 3.35 | 25
-Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY | 3.4 | 3.3 | 27
-Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA | 3.47 | 3.39 | 28.9
-Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV | 3.40 | 3.31 | 26.6
-UMDNJ - School of Osteopathic Medicine, NJ | 3.58 | ?.?? | 28
-University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME | 3.5 | 3.45 | 27
-Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine -Virginia Campus, VA | 3.55 | 3.51 | 25
-Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas Campus, SC | 3.61 | 3.55 | 25
-West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Admissions Office, WV | ?.?? | 3.37 | 25
-Western University of Health Sciences - Pomona, CA + Lebanon, OR | 3.53 | 3.47 | 28
-William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS | 3.35 | ?.?? | 24.3

This is from the first page of the undrerdog thread. I'm not sure who originally did all the research and compiled it..but they're awesome.

School Averages
cGPA | sGPA | MCAT

-Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC | first year taking students
-Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine | 3.56 | ? | 28 | (2009 data: 3.53 | 3.45 | 27)
-Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA | 3.44 | 3.31 | 26
-Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL | (2010 data: 3.48 | 3.39 | 27)
-Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN | 3.29 | 3.18 | 24.62
-Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IN | first year taking students
-Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MI | 3.6 | ?.?? | 26
-Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL | 3.41 | 3.31 | 27
-Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, OH | 3.66 | ?.?? | 27
-University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY | 3.5 | 3.4 | 24
-Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA | 3.47 | 3.39 | 28.9
-Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV | 3.40 | 3.31 | 26.6
-University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME | 3.5 | 3.45 | 27
-Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine -Virginia Campus, VA | 3.55 | 3.51 | 25
-Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas Campus, SC | 3.61 | 3.55 | 25
-West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Admissions Office, WV | ?.?? | 3.37 | 25
-Western University of Health Sciences - Pomona, CA + Lebanon, OR | 3.53 | 3.47 | 28
-William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS | 3.35 | ?.?? | 24.3

I'm very curious to see what deviations are for these. I like how the MSAR lists 10th and 90th percentile for each school

So, what about this makes you worry? Are you insinuating there is some kind of prejudice on behalf of the schools?

Heh, nothing quite so sinister. I was thinking more along the lines of: Why aren't there more latino applicants?

The alleged URM boost should give a leg up and "should" increase the supply side of minority applicants, but it seems each year i peruse SDN the amount of applicants/matriculated remains relatively unchanged and even an increase is offset by more and more non-URM applicants applying/matriculating

Members don't see this ad :)
you'd make so much money!

lol. Believe it or not I don't want to be a physician or a dentist for the purpose of making money, It will come with anything you do. I also am not altogether altruistic. I want to do something of substance and DO or DDS/DMD is pretty much the only thing I can see myself happily doing.

Shadowed both and still on the fence! :thumbdown:

Just saw the curriculum. Its crazy. I wouldn't be competitive just based on my gpa. 3.63 doesnt get you into advanced programs.

I'm not sure how competitive it is. They didn't talk about it very much at my interview.

I'm not sure how competitive it is. They didn't talk about it very much at my interview.

Appreciate the info. I will be calling them tomorrow before work and find out more. I wonder what the scope of a DO/DMD is....so many possibilities!:xf:

School Averages
cGPA | sGPA | MCAT

I heard this data is outdated. :lame:

Appreciate the info. I will be calling them tomorrow before work and find out more. I wonder what the scope of a DO/DMD is....so many possibilities!:xf:

I've also heard that US dentists who go on to do a residency as a maxillofacial surgery also are granted the MD degree if their residency is 6 years. (4 yrs residency, 2 yrs MD training)

This is an example of one such program.

School Averages
cGPA | sGPA | MCAT

Solid necro bump. More importantly, why didn't I apply DO the first time? Might have saved two years of my life...oh well.

I've also heard that US dentists who go on to do a residency as a maxillofacial surgery also are granted the MD degree if their residency is 6 years. (4 yrs residency, 2 yrs MD training)

This is an example of one such program.

They all obtain an MD. The way the pathway works is that they do dental school and then get their DDS or DMD after 4 years, then they get accepted to a Maxo residency, do 2 years of clinical rotations at a medical school and get awarded a MD. Then finally they get graduate training in Maxo.