Acceptance date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldenGator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Now that we’re part way through the admissions season, and many of us have begun to get acceptances, I’m beginning to think there’s something wrong with the timing of this whole process. Although I did get accepted to a school this week, I still have interviews scheduled for January and February, and I honestly think I’m more interested in a couple of those schools. But I have to accept the first school, because I know there’s no guarantee I’ll get in anywhere else. If I do get accepted to one of my higher ranked choices, I’ll probably drop out of the first school.

I’m curious whether other people would rather have a longer time to do all their interviews and then hear from all the schools around the same time later – like maybe early to mid-February. I’d personally rather get all my acceptances and rejections (hopefully not too many of these) at the same time and know where I stand with all the schools before I have to make a decision.

What do others think?

Members don't see this ad.

i wish that there was no set time that schools had to wait to tell you your acceptance status... i wish they could tell you anytime after your interview. however i do think there should be a longer period between when you were accepted and when the deposit was due. like you said, a lot of people will be forced to put down a deposit on the first school that accepts them if they are waitlisted or still being reviewed at their first few choice schools. maybe the deposit deadline should be later, and all schools should just encourage people in their acceptance letter to call if they want to withdraw so that the schools can get a feel for who is and isn't intending to go there.

Goldengator:

People who applied in May, June, July, and August were able to get all of their interviews done by Dec. 1. I like the system the way it is because it means I don't end up putting deposits at 3 different schools before my number 1 accpets me. I don't think they should wait any longer than Dec. 1 because the financial aid process starts Jan. 1, and that can be a long process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biogirl361 said:
i wish that there was no set time that schools had to wait to tell you your acceptance status...

Although I understand the logic behind such a decision, for me it would have been great to learn the status of my application within a couple of weeks versus a couple or three months after the fact. For one, I could have saved a wad of money that would have been better spent on a deposit than on a needless interview. Oh, well...

I think the 12/1 'D-Day' method is great. Think about how the med admissions cycle works. Some medschools may interview in Novermber, notify in December, and want a deposit in January; others can interview in February, notify in March, and want a deposit in April. What would you do if the second school was your dream school? You would have to lose your deposit money. The 12/1 method works because students will get notified on the same day, and have until 1/15 to send in a deposit. I do admit that this system only works if you apply during the summer. This is why everyone tells you to submit your AADSAS as early as possible!