Acceptance off of a Wait List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HebbianSynapse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that April 15 is the deadline for most AMCAS schools, but what if a student has a Wait List spot that doesn't open up until after April 15 when that student has presumably accepted an offer by another school?

Is it all right to renege? (Not that I would necessarily do so.. I just want to know what my options are)

Members don't see this ad.

isn't the date may 15?

Yes, it's okay. The deadline is for "resolving multiple acceptances" and not for committing to actually show up the first day.

As long as you hold one or less acceptances after either April 15th or May 15th (depending on set of schools), I think that you're okay. You can still get off waitlists, and in that case you would have to quickly accept at that institution and withdraw from the class of the other institution. I don't think that they will return your deposits past the deadline, though.

ropra, On or around April 15th is the deadline some MD/PhD programs require a decision to accept a position in their program, citing that this early decision requirement is necessary because usually the program requires summer lab rotations or something.

HebbianSynapse, read over the paperwork you are required to submit carefully and see if anything legally binds you to that school. I think that most schools don't do that sort of thing, so it should be possible to re neg.