acceptance rescinding: it DOES happen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rewJW

surviving
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys, just an FYI. A quick story about a student I went to undergrad with who got into UMDNJ this year alongside me - we both happened to interview the same day and were both accepted December 1. I talked to them recently to see if they, too, had ended up choosing UMDNJ. They told me they had deposited at UMDNJ and after the background check (I can't believe they do these things this quickly!) their acceptance was rescinded because they did not report the underage drinking charges against them on their AADSAS application. (They are NOT able to get their $1000 deposit back.) So far another school they deposited at has not rescinded their application so that is where they are planning oin going -- so apparently either not all schools care enough about lying and/or underage drinking to rescind your application, or they just haven't finished the background check. I feel a little guilty reporting this person's story here, that's why I'm giving minimal details ... but I just wanted to share this because IT DOES HAPPEN. Report any sort of minor charges you have had against you on your AADSAS so that if it's going to be held against you, it does so BEFORE you waste x dollars on deposits.

Members don't see this ad.

:(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, guys, just an FYI. A quick story about a student I went to undergrad with who got into UMDNJ this year alongside me - we both happened to interview the same day and were both accepted December 1. I talked to them recently to see if they, too, had ended up choosing UMDNJ. They told me they had deposited at UMDNJ and after the background check (I can't believe they do these things this quickly!) their acceptance was rescinded because they did not report the underage drinking charges against them on their AADSAS application. (They are NOT able to get their $1000 deposit back.) So far another school they deposited at has not rescinded their application so that is where they are planning oin going -- so apparently either not all schools care enough about lying and/or underage drinking to rescind your application, or they just haven't finished the background check. I feel a little guilty reporting this person's story here, that's why I'm giving minimal details ... but I just wanted to share this because IT DOES HAPPEN. Report any sort of minor charges you have had against you on your AADSAS so that if it's going to be held against you, it does so BEFORE you waste x dollars on deposits.

I think some schools are more hardcore about that stuff than others. I know one girl who got a DUI the year before she started d school. It may not have been that fact that they had the charges, but the fact that they didn't report them. Either way that still sucks.

might consider being upfront and honest when filling out your AADSAS ...

They don't care so much about the drinking, it was about the FAILURE to mention it in his application.

yeah.. i agree just be honest and don 't be sorry laterr

I wonder how many accepted applicants are freaking out right now after reading this thread. I'd bet a handful.

I think that your friend may be kicked out of other dental schools since he/she didn't report it on the AADSAS that is used by all d-schools (so it's lying there) and plus that other d-schools do background checks during their first week of classes ... that's why maybe some applicants can be accepted right then.
Basically, it's a lesson for his mistakes during his youth. We're taught by mistakes BUT it's better to be taught on the mistakes of others.
GL.

ummm....where does it ask for this information on the AADSAS app? I just looked it over and am failing to find this section?

it doesn't ask on AADSAS whether or not you've been convicted of a misdemeanor (which is what you usually get with underage drinking) or a felony. It only asks about whether or not you've been on academic probation, academic difficulties, getting in trouble with your school, and etc.

Usually the schools will ask about convictions on their secondary applications and that's where you would disclose your underage drinking charges.

So if the school didn't have a secondary and never asked about convictions, then they'd have no right to take away his acceptance for such a little charge. Now if he had committed murder or rape, then you can obv take it away.

But if they blatantly asked him on a secondary, and he lied, then it woudl be grounds for taking the acceptance away.

Scary...lesson on honesty.

it doesn't ask on AADSAS whether or not you've been convicted of a misdemeanor (which is what you usually get with underage drinking) or a felony. It only asks about whether or not you've been on academic probation, academic difficulties, getting in trouble with your school, and etc.

Usually the schools will ask about convictions on their secondary applications and that's where you would disclose your underage drinking charges.

So if the school didn't have a secondary and never asked about convictions, then they'd have no right to take away his acceptance for such a little charge. Now if he had committed murder or rape, then you can obv take it away.

But if they blatantly asked him on a secondary, and he lied, then it woudl be grounds for taking the acceptance away.

Exactly...I couldnt agree more. I wonder why previous posts insist on referencing the AADSAS when in fact it has no such section.

Members don't see this ad :)
ouch! sorry to hear that

Any underage citations you may get usually does not need to be reported and can be expunged barring any felonies, murders, or sex offender issues. Tell your friend to talk to a lawyer and see if those charges can be erased from your friends record.

Any underage citations you may get usually does not need to be reported and can be expunged barring any felonies, murders, or sex offender issues. Tell your friend to talk to a lawyer and see if those charges can be erased from your friends record.
Yeah exactly.

This story and your "friend" sounds likes BS. Urban Legend.

Underage they would still be an adult possibly 18,19,20 so they are an adult and would probably stay with them

Schools do the background check fast because they want to finalize their class as soon as possible by May 1st. Because on May 1st AADSAS issue the name of students who got accepted to every school so no one can hold multiple deposit or get accepted having some sort of past problems. Majority of state schools want to finalize their class by May 1st, however, not every school does the background check. Hope your friend do not loose his/her admission at other schools.

was your friend arrested?? charges against him is when he was arrested or has a citation right? because i thought if the RA finds him drinking i thought it only went to your school records?

I'm not going to say any more about the applicant's situation than I did in the original post because that was the only information I have and came from directly from the person whose application was rescinded. Perhaps it was a drinking and driving charge and not simply underage drinking, but all they told me was 'underage drinking.' I suppose that would make more sense as to why it wasn't expunged and was discovered in the background check. I don't know. And I don't know if it was at school, or in high school, etc., no idea whatsoever.

Feel free to continue discussing the topic at your leisure.

Edit:
In the acceptance packet, in bold it is noted that an offer of admission is not final until the background check is complete and the results are deemed favorable by UMDNJ. So to the person who said that they have no right to rescind his application if they didn't ask about it specifically ... yes, they reserved the right to do so. But regardless they DID specifically ask on a disclosure form we had to send back with our deposit (along with agreement to be background checked, etc.) - no idea if they filled that part out honestly or not. In our acceptance packet the following link was listed. It describes what deems an 'unfavorable' result of a background check. http://www.umdnj.edu/oppmweb/university_policies/Academic_affairs/PDF/00-01-20-95_00.pdf

Last edited:
What I meant was that if they never asked, and it was a small charge such as drinking under the age of 21, they probably would not take it away.

However, NJ did ask in that disclosure form, and he probably lied about it, and that is why his acceptance got taken away for such a petty "crime".

There are so many people that have gotten into dental schools with minors on their records, and if you're honest about it, it shouldn't hurt your chances.

Well, the disclosure form doesn't really ask your opinion whether you got into any trouble while in college. The officials need to fill out the form and mailed. So you won't know anything until UMDNJ sees it and redeems favorable.

Yeah exactly.

This story and your "friend" sounds likes BS. Urban Legend.

I'll just vouch for Jess as a really honest and nice person who wouldn't make something up.

.. and yes, Im sure it DOES happen.

I heard most dental schools do background check as soon as you submit your final deposit to make sure that you don't take other people's sit and not the first week of classes.

You made a very legit point about that. I assumed that d-schools do their b-checks at the beginning of the course since some schools require to pay for yuor background check so it's not free and it's included or not into your fee (backgrund check fee), so I guessed at first yuo pay that and then they check you. I did a legit point too. :laugh:

Well, I guess the moral of the story is, don't lie when you want to be a health professional?

If this is true, good! If you want to represent medical professionals, then why not start at not lying or withholding the truth about charges! Obviously they are unworthy of the responsibilities it takes to be an honest and moral person. I am always freaking out about every little thing and making sure that I make moral and conscious decisions. Not saying I'm perfect, FAR from it. But I would never do that.

i cursed out a telemarketer yesterday, i hope my dental school doesnt find out

Everyone seems to be forgetting the difference between a charge and a conviction. A charge does not mean anything. Innocent until proven guilty, right. When dental schools run background checks only convictions appear. Hope this clears things up.

Schools do the background check fast because they want to finalize their class as soon as possible by May 1st. Because on May 1st AADSAS issue the name of students who got accepted to every school so no one can hold multiple deposit or get accepted having some sort of past problems. Majority of state schools want to finalize their class by May 1st, however, not every school does the background check. Hope your friend do not loose his/her admission at other schools.
In my experience, our school didn't complete the background check until we had already started our first semester and even then the check they did was specifically directed at being sure we were able to treat the public. This means they were checking for things like major assault, rape, crimes against children, etc. They want to make sure it is safe to put you in their clinics. My school also has you sign a consent to initiate the background check.

Does anyone know if Western does a background check? there was nothing mentioned in the acceptance papers.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the difference between a charge and a conviction. A charge does not mean anything. Innocent until proven guilty, right. When dental schools run background checks only convictions appear. Hope this clears things up.

I have to do a bcheck and have important question... Check goes back 7 years.

In 2002 I had some drug charges, did supervision, wasn't convicted (terminated Feb 2003). 7 years from now goes back to 2002 (so inbetween time). I was never asked anything about my background during entire process.

I wasn't convicted or anything but deferred adjudications still show up... what should I do? Have to do bcheck soon.

In 2002 I had some drug charges, did supervision, wasn't convicted (terminated Feb 2003). 7 years from now goes back to 2002 (so inbetween time). I was never asked anything about my background during entire process.

I wasn't convicted or anything but deferred adjudications still show up... what should I do? Have to do bcheck soon.

spend the 40 dollars and run one on yourself. However, make sure it is a legit company. Also, I know for a fact that a lot of bground checks only search one state. I think you'll be okay.

You don't need to pay for that crap. Just go to all the county courthouse pages you've been busted in and do a docket search.

You don't need to pay for that crap. Just go to all the county courthouse pages you've been busted in and do a docket search.

I did one of these searches and it did show up. It was nolles pro (sp?) and showed up as terminated but the main issue is that it did show up. I'm furious with my past layer, was told it was off my record... :( I want to be honest with my dschool but I don't know if that's the right decision in this case. I am without a doubt a different person than I was 7-8 years ago.

I did one of these searches and it did show up. It was nolles pro (sp?) and showed up as terminated but the main issue is that it did show up. I'm furious with my past layer, was told it was off my record... :( I want to be honest with my dschool but I don't know if that's the right decision in this case. I am without a doubt a different person than I was 7-8 years ago.

err, this is a tough one. I really don't know what to tell you. I know being honost is sometimes easier said then done. You may want to tell the school about it, but let them know you were told it was off your record. Best of luck.

Maybe you should call up the school admissions and ask for advice on this one without stating your name and see what they think is the best way to go.

According to the law, anyone under deferred adjudication cannot be discriminated based upon their record, because they technically haven't been convicted. Supposedly deferred adjudication is supposed to give you a fresh start but the applications still ask if you've ever been convicted or had deferred adjudication. Most background checks will not show DA if you've had your record sealed. The exception is that schools and government agencies still have access to your record. Your best bet would be to contact a lawyer and see if anything can be done to erase your record.

Charge, or conviction, they both show up on a persons background check. It will just say charged with.... but no verdict has been given. Innocent until proven guilty, but it's very easy for someone else (such as a school), to make a judgment of your character without having to know the outcome of the case. Easy to judge a book by it's cover. ;)

I just read this whole thread and It's scaring me... I have a misdemeanor 1 charge on my record, but I was never convicted. The charges were dropped after I finish a program, My lawyer is getting my file expunged, but the whole process will take 3-4 months (Hopefully will be done by Aug). He told me that I don't really have to report it on my application because I was never charged. I have decided to go to my state school, I was accepted on Dec 1st. I have filled out everything, I have paid my deposit, and so far things are going great... Now I have nightmares... I can't sleep because I keep thinking that I'm going to get kicked out of Dental School. What should I do??? When do you think most schools run their background checks? and its been almost 4 months since I got accepted, they would have run their check by now, if they wanted to, right? Help me, So I can Sleep

I just read this whole thread and It's scaring me... I have a misdemeanor 1 charge on my record, but I was never convicted. The charges were dropped after I finish a program, My lawyer is getting my file expunged, but the whole process will take 3-4 months (Hopefully will be done by Aug). He told me that I don't really have to report it on my application because I was never charged. I have decided to go to my state school, I was accepted on Dec 1st. I have filled out everything, I have paid my deposit, and so far things are going great... Now I have nightmares... I can't sleep because I keep thinking that I'm going to get kicked out of Dental School. What should I do??? When do you think most schools run their background checks? and its been almost 4 months since I got accepted, they would have run their check by now, if they wanted to, right? Help me, So I can Sleep

But your avatar says Pre-Medical, lol.

Anyways, there was a post here in January where someone actually had an acceptance given to them by mistake. The school later called to tell the person that they weren't really accepted. Now that would suck.

well you arent obligated to report it since it is getting expunged but the problem is if they will do the search before it is expunged. you shoudl call the school and ask if they do one and whenthey do it. they usually ask you for ur signature... (thats what i've heard). you could always do a personal bkground check to make you feel a bit better to see what the school might/might not see.

and i know for nova at least, that they run the bkground check after ur 2nd deposit.

hello all, i wandered over here trying to get some information, and this thread seems closest to my issue. i have been accepted to medical school, and for those who dont know the verbage on the app says "Have you ever been convicted of or are you currently under charge for a felony or misdemeanor" to which I answered "No". Now the results of my criminal background check have come and they want me to "explain in detail the circumstances of my arrest for 'Public Intoxication' in order to present my case to the executive committee for admission". I was arrested but charges were dismissed, and so I answered the application question truthfully (there was no secondary app). I wrote them a detailed account of everything and included an apology, explained I never intended to hide it, and that it happened a week after I was 21, 4 years ago. What should I expect? I'm seriously nervous, so any insight would help me out a lot! thanks!!