acceptance, scholarships, timing?

Started by Leelah
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Leelah

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Perhaps this question is so obvious no one else had to ask it, because I can't find any information...

If you are accepted into a program, and you accept their acceptance, does that reduce or even obliterate the odds of receiving scholarships from that school?

I've already gotten into my top choice and I'd like to accept it formally so that I can get on with other business like housing etc, but I'm afraid of not getting any money after that.

If you wait, will they "court" you? Is it like haggling and you are the product? Am I totally wrong?

I want to go to this school regardless, but of course I'd be very happy to have the financial burden lightened!
 
I don't have any inside information on whether they are less likely to give financial aid to students who've already accepted their offer, but if I were you I'd wait. Do you absolutely have to accept it early? Do you want to accept now because you want to get on the waiting list for on-campus housing? This would be the only reason why I'd accept early without knowing what financial aid offers I'm getting. It's not necessarily for haggling reasons, I just like to have all information on the table before making a big decision like that. I know you said this is your first choice, but are you absolutely sure that, for example, you would accept this offer with zero funding if your second choice were to give you a full ride?

Regarding haggling, I do know people that have waited until the last minute to let schools know and were given better financial aid packages perhaps because of it. I know of one person in particular that was offered one package from a school, she waited out of pure indecision, and was later informed that an additional scholarship had become available to her. They really wanted her and I think if she had accepted their offer earlier she wouldn't have gotten that additional scholarship. However, this was for a PhD program; I'm not sure this would happen for a professional program.
 
Most schools don't (especially at the MPH level) provide many scholarships. Those that do will offer them at a set point in time (they will have their own timeline). Your date of acceptance will not effect if you are selected for said scholarship. That said, there is one school last year that people did report receiving offers of additional scholarships after those who initially rec'd them declined them. Overall, accepting early probably won't hurt your chances.

I don't think it would hurt to wait and see but you may end up getting financial offers from your 3rd, 5th, etc. choice. Would you turn down a large scholarship at school C to attend school A with no help? It all depends on the person but waiting can get confusing 🙂
 
Hey JMM, just out of curiosity what was the school that offered your friend additonal funding?
 
Not me, but a lot of people last year mentioned on the boards hearing late from Michigan. For some the amount brought it down to make tution there comparable to other schools (Michigan's tuition isn't the cheapest out there).

Last year I had my FAFSA and finaid info in REALLY early. For many of the schools it still took a long time to hear back (Tulane offered me-and probably everyone else-a 1k scholarship months after my acceptance). I also heard back about my scholarship to USF late (nothing exciting either). I highly suggest that everyone, regardless of schools applied to, submit their finaid stuff early to maximize what they may be able to get from the schools.
 
Thanks for your thoughts. I suppose I ought to wait a while, though yeah, housing is the issue--but that's life! I will live somewhere. Anyway it's an interesting subject.

I've read that it's best to submit the FAFSA as soon as possible... but if you're waiting for taxes I doubt you're alone.
 
Thanks for your thoughts. I suppose I ought to wait a while, though yeah, housing is the issue--but that's life! I will live somewhere. Anyway it's an interesting subject.

I've read that it's best to submit the FAFSA as soon as possible... but if you're waiting for taxes I doubt you're alone.

Yeah, taxes are the issue I've run into, as well. My parents haven't filed their taxes yet and some schools have emailed me, asking me to file my FAFSA by the beginning of February. I did it but we guesstimated the numbers to fill in the blanks. I'm forcefully 'encouraging' them to get their taxes done ASAP...