Acceptance Time Line

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pistol Pete

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those lucky to get multiple acceptance notifications, how much time did most colleges allow for saying "yes". If your favorite is the last to offer and others are a month earlier, can you put them off that long? Just pondering on a rainy day.

Pete

Members don't see this ad.

If that's true, that's a lot better than the Caribbean schools. They only gave me 7 days to accept it! Crazy stuff!

Members don't see this ad :)
i remember the same as nyanko. though double check, cause i remember Penn's deadlline being a couple days earlier than every one elses.

but schools try to get their acceptances out to everybody by mid march-april for this reason. you have to put your deposit down at the school you chose by mid april. however, if school's end up going to their waitlist, they can offer you a spot right up until school starts, i believe. in which case you can turn it down, or accept, but you would lose your deposit that you put down on another school in april.

If that's true, that's a lot better than the Caribbean schools. They only gave me 7 days to accept it! Crazy stuff!

Its not so crazy considering most of the Caribbean schools are For-Profit businesses.

They will happily take a persons $500 deposit. Plus by letting students know well before all of the accredited schools, students are more apt to put down the $500 because they currently don't know if they will get into a US school or not.

I think there's an agreement between veterinary schools in the US that the earliest that you can set the date at is April 15. I think my year it was bumped up or back because the 15th was on a Sunday. But yeah, even for OSU when I got accepted in December, it was still April 15th for accepting their offer.

It took some digging around on their websites but it does appear April 15th is a common date between several colleges. Some of the sites have a bit more robust "statistics" tabs and I found the KState site interesting from an OOS perspective.. it took 174 OOS offers to get 54 OOS accepted. Anyone know if that is a typical ratio?

Pete

I found the KState site interesting from an OOS perspective.. it took 174 OOS offers to get 54 OOS accepted. Anyone know if that is a typical ratio?

Whoa! KState has 54 OOS in a class?!! That's craziness! We have 10. (VMRCVM).

But yes, for OOS it usually takes a while of going through the acceptance list to fill their OOS seats. Many students have applied IS as well, and usually if your academics are stellar enough to earn you an OOS seat somewhere you definitely get into your IS school so many that are offered OOS seats end up accepting at their IS school. Plus, others apply to many OOS schools and again, if you get into one, chances are pretty good you'll get into another. So there's a good chance that the students they offer OOS seats to will go elsewhere.

It took some digging around on their websites but it does appear April 15th is a common date between several colleges. Some of the sites have a bit more robust "statistics" tabs and I found the KState site interesting from an OOS perspective.. it took 174 OOS offers to get 54 OOS accepted. Anyone know if that is a typical ratio?

Depends on the school and the number of OOS seats in the class. As mentioned in another thread, Cornell actually had to go past its waitlist and into its OOS "rejected" list to fill all of their OOS seats last year, for example. In contrast, UC Davis offered 6 spots to OOSers and ended up with 5 accepting. It's not really a reflection of quality of the school as much as how many seats they need to fill, I think.

Depends on the school and the number of OOS seats in the class. As mentioned in another thread, Cornell actually had to go past its waitlist and into its OOS "rejected" list to fill all of their OOS seats last year, for example. In contrast, UC Davis offered 6 spots to OOSers and ended up with 5 accepting. It's not really a reflection of quality of the school as much as how many seats they need to fill, I think.

I assume that whether or not one can become an IS student for tuition purposes while attending school also affects a school's OOS acceptance ratio. Those bucks add up after a while.

Going back to the original question for a second, I had my Ohio State interview yesterday, and in the orientation beforehand the Dean said that all the American schools have an agreement that they can't make you decide before April 15. She also said that sometimes (rarely, but it happens) schools have tried to tell students they have to decide before April 15. She said that is DEFINITELY not allowed, and that if that happens the school should be reported. I'm not sure who to report it to, but I'm sure that the Dean of any of the other schools one has applied to would be able and willing to do something. They said at OSU to feel free to contact them if that happened because it's a major no-no.

Its not so crazy considering most of the Caribbean schools are For-Profit businesses.

They will happily take a persons $500 deposit. Plus by letting students know well before all of the accredited schools, students are more apt to put down the $500 because they currently don't know if they will get into a US school or not.

I would say it is because 1. they MAY be For-Profit and 2. they actually matriculate 2-3 classes per year. It makes sense if you apply in November of 2008 for January 2009 (or even May 2009) matriculation, that you would have a very quick requirement for a seat deposit.

You can save your 500 bucks by not applying until you've heard from all of your US applications. If you want a definite 'back up', then yes, they are willing to take your seat deposit while you wait to hear back from US schools. It also probably helps cover their overhead for all of the applications/interviews they perform knowing that most US students will not attend their schools if accepted state side.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Going back to the original question for a second, I had my Ohio State interview yesterday, and in the orientation beforehand the Dean said that all the American schools have an agreement that they can't make you decide before April 15. She also said that sometimes (rarely, but it happens) schools have tried to tell students they have to decide before April 15. She said that is DEFINITELY not allowed, and that if that happens the school should be reported. I'm not sure who to report it to, but I'm sure that the Dean of any of the other schools one has applied to would be able and willing to do something. They said at OSU to feel free to contact them if that happened because it's a major no-no.

Schools that disregard the agreement should be reported to :
Dr. Marguerite Pappaioanou
AAVMC Executive Director

In the past, some schools have made offers of scholarships if an applicant accepted earlier than the April 15 deadline and "threatened" to offer it to another admit should the first person not commit early. This had the most impact on OOS students who may have still been waiting to hear from their IS school. Major stressor for the applicant.:(