acceptance/waitlist advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOmojo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal... I've been accepted to PCOM-GA and I'm on the waitlist for DMU and KCUMB. I've already sent my deposit to pcom-ga, but that is not where my heart lies. I know that PCOM has a good rep and that pcom-ga has received full accreditation, but pcom-ga does not offer some of the programs I am interested in, ie. MBA/MHA program. According to the letter I received from kcumb, if I am not pulled for acceptance from the waitlist this year, I am guaranteed a seat for next year w/o application or interview.

My question is this... As a 32 y/o nontrad student, do I suck it up and go to pcom-ga or is it worth it to wait a whole year and go to kcumb next fall? I know, I probably shouldn't be too picky... I did at least get in somewhere. I'd appreciate any insight, especially from anyone who is in or may have been in this situation!

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of medicine do you want to practice?

B-

DOmojo said:
Here's the deal... I've been accepted to PCOM-GA and I'm on the waitlist for DMU and KCUMB. I've already sent my deposit to pcom-ga, but that is not where my heart lies. I know that PCOM has a good rep and that pcom-ga has received full accreditation, but pcom-ga does not offer some of the programs I am interested in, ie. MBA/MHA program. According to the letter I received from kcumb, if I am not pulled for acceptance from the waitlist this year, I am guaranteed a seat for next year w/o application or interview.

My question is this... As a 32 y/o nontrad student, do I suck it up and go to pcom-ga or is it worth it to wait a whole year and go to kcumb next fall? I know, I probably shouldn't be too picky... I did at least get in somewhere. I'd appreciate any insight, especially from anyone who is in or may have been in this situation!

family practice probably in a rural area so i'd like the business skills since i'd be wearing the "management" hat as well. I know it's not a necessary component, but one that would be a big help.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one can really say what is best for you, except you. I think you should just take a step back and think about which path would make you the happiest.

I may be biased because I am a non-traditional student and I am at GA-PCOM, but besides that LOL.......

Seriously though, if you just want FP I think you should just come to GA-PCOM. You will get good training here to be a Family physician becuase that is one of our schools primary goals.

Business skills will come with seminars and mentors. But you cannot get that year of salary or your life back if you take that year off. You will already be 39 when you are finished with all of your training do you really want to be 40?

BMW-

DOmojo said:

Yeah, I know I'll be an old fart by that time, I've already factored that in--lol. I'm pretty sure that GA-PCOM is where I'll be going. I liked the school and the environment when I went for the interview. But you know when you present a man with options, it often presents problems--in my case I usually tend to overthink it! I appreciate your advice and opinion as a nontrad student yourself B. Thanks!!

BMW19 said:
I may be biased because I am a non-traditional student and I am at GA-PCOM, but besides that LOL.......

Seriously though, if you just want FP I think you should just come to GA-PCOM. You will get good training here to be a Family physician becuase that is one of our schools primary goals.

Business skills will come with seminars and mentors. But you cannot get that year of salary or your life back if you take that year off. You will already be 39 when you are finished with all of your training do you really want to be 40?

BMW-

My advice would be to go to your overall first choice, "where your heart is" even if it means sacrificing a year, which sucks. Medical school is a huge investment. It is not worth spending the huge amount of money we are spending to go somewhere where you may not be happy, especially if you have a guaranteed acceptance to the school you want to go to for next year. Wondering "what if" is the worst!!! Good luck with your decision!

DOmojo said:

You are not alone! I am in the same boat! I am into to Nova & waitlisted at KCUMB & CCOM. I really loved those 2 schools & am considering waiting a year to go to one of them. Obviously, I will have KCUMB for sure & i might reapply to CCOM. Is this possible? or will they find out?

Good Luck, making decisions like these sucks!

ewhitmore said:
You are not alone! I am in the same boat! I am into to Nova & waitlisted at KCUMB & CCOM. I really loved those 2 schools & am considering waiting a year to go to one of them. Obviously, I will have KCUMB for sure & i might reapply to CCOM. Is this possible? or will they find out?

Good Luck, making decisions like these sucks!

Well put... decisions like these suck. As for CCOM or any other medschool, if you reapply there is a question that asks something like "have you ever been accepted to or matriculated any other medical school" (may not be exact wording, but you get the point). A yes to that question is a big red flag to adcoms everywhere (implies so called questions about your dedication to medicine) even if you are deferring but reapplying. In my opinion, most of us have the best intentions and are truly dedicated to medicine, especially if we are asking questions like this. I mean c'mon, we all want to go to the school that we think is the best fit for us... sorry for the rant. As for KCUMB, I haven't called to find out the fine print of their year wait offer. I just know that, according to the letter, you do not have to reapply or reinterview; it seems to be more or less automatic. Good luck to you and pm me or reply here and let me know how things turn out for you!!

as its been mentioned before, i think its important to go where you feel like you belong. being 39 or 40 really doesnt make much of a difference if you think about it in the long run...

good luck with your pursuit!

I would ask KCUMB if you can transfer as a 2nd year student if youd on't make it this year. That is what I did with TU-COM in case I am waitlisted and/or don't make it this year. Based from the 2 medical schools I did ask, they are pretty okay with transferring so long as you have good grades and you apply early.

Whatever you do, make sure you get this "year off automatic acceptance" thing in writing. The last thing you need is to be left out in the cold with no where to go! We have all heard the stories of the "oral contract" that 4th year students get for residency opportunities only to find out it did not pan out.

BMW-

DOmojo said:
Well put... decisions like these suck. As for CCOM or any other medschool, if you reapply there is a question that asks something like "have you ever been accepted to or matriculated any other medical school" (may not be exact wording, but you get the point). A yes to that question is a big red flag to adcoms everywhere (implies so called questions about your dedication to medicine) even if you are deferring but reapplying. In my opinion, most of us have the best intentions and are truly dedicated to medicine, especially if we are asking questions like this. I mean c'mon, we all want to go to the school that we think is the best fit for us... sorry for the rant. As for KCUMB, I haven't called to find out the fine print of their year wait offer. I just know that, according to the letter, you do not have to reapply or reinterview; it seems to be more or less automatic. Good luck to you and pm me or reply here and let me know how things turn out for you!!